Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-27 18:11:46

DRAGSTER_TUNER

Sometimes (JUST sometimes) windows disappears/not appears in taskbar!

Hi everyone!

First of all, i think is important say i have the tasklist on my task bar enabled.

Here is the issue:

Sometimes, and it happens just sometimes, when i minimize a window or open some program, it disappears/not appears in the task bar...

And when it happens, stays even a "hole" among the windows, if the window of the progam that disappears are between two others windows wich are appearing.

I already remove the tasklist from the task bar and installed it again, but no good.

Its a weird problem, since it happens just sometimes, and the disappeared window, ALWAYS SUDDENLY APPEARS AGAIN, after a few secs (10 more or less, i never count it precisely). And it happens just sometimes, not always...

Debian testing installed this week, using hdmi output. Graphic card: onboard HD4600 Intel processor graphic.

Someone can help me?

#2 2020-05-27 19:04:55

alcornoqui

Re: Sometimes (JUST sometimes) windows disappears/not appears in taskbar!

edit: Found the bug report! https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14394

Hello. I'm not really sure, but I think this has happened to me recently, with xfce4-panel 4.14.4 in Ubuntu 18.04.

Perhaps ToZ's advice to debug the panel from other thread are in order here:

ToZ wrote:

You can try this:

With root privileges, create the file /usr/local/bin/xfce4-panel with the following content:

#!/bin/bash

export PANEL_DEBUG=1
/usr/bin/xfce4-panel > /tmp/xfce4-panel.log 2>&1

...and make the file executable.

Log out and back in again and if the problem happens, have a look at the /tmp/xfce4-panel.log file.

What this does is the system will run this new xfce-panel executable in /usr/local/bin instead of the real one. This script sets up debug mode and runs the real xfce4-panel executable saving debug log info to /tmp/xfce4-panel.log. When you are done with the troubleshooting, rename the xfce4-panel file in /usr/local/bin and the system will return to running the real one.

Good luck!

#3 2020-05-27 20:52:45

DRAGSTER_TUNER

Thanks for reply, this solution works for me!

wink

Last edited by DRAGSTER_TUNER (2020-05-29 15:04:11)

#4 2020-06-08 15:18:23

DRAGSTER_TUNER

Hi guys...me again...unfortunatelly the sollution was proposed on this post does not works...it works for a few days, but since 4 days ago, the problem back!

I dunno if it was never solved and i didnt noticed or it was fixed by a while...

Anyone have some clue?

#5 2020-06-08 17:33:53

alcornoqui

DId you try the debugging instructions? Aren't there any clues in the /tmp/xfce4-panel.log file?

#6 2020-06-08 20:20:21

DRAGSTER_TUNER

/tmp/xfce4-panel.log file does not exists...how to debug?

#7 2020-06-08 21:23:29

eriefisher

So you didn't follow the instruction ToZ laid out???

If you followed the instructions correctly any event from the panel would be written out to /tmp/xfce4-panel.log. This file will not survive a reboot so you would need to check it right after the issue shows itself. Save it and post it here.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

Board footer