Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-09 11:21:23

jcbradfield

applications not resizing after using full screen

I'm using Xubuntu 18.04.4, which appears to be xfce 4.12.0 and some libxfce* packages at 4.13.4

I have, and have always had  (the original installation was Xubuntu 16.04), a problem with some applications that use full screen windows in the normal course of display.

The typical example is the image viewer program xv - this is an old pure Xlib program which has been stable for decades. xv's normal behaviour is to resize its display window to match the size of the current image. However, if I display a sequence of images the first of which is full-screen-size, at that point xv's display window gets "stuck" - it remains at full-screen for ever, while the actual image is displayed in the top-left portion of the window. The normal "double size" and "halve size" controls stop working, and have the effect of expanding the image to fill the window.

The far more modern ImageMagick program  display  shows the same behaviour.

I've searched the forum, and not seen anything obvious, though one would think this must be a common problem!

Last edited by jcbradfield (2020-06-09 11:22:21)

#2 2020-06-11 18:17:09

Skaperen

Re: applications not resizing after using full screen

have you used an earlier version of Xubuntu or Xfce with these apps and seen the correct behavior?  this behavior is what i would expect from apps that switch to full screen mode to make an image fit, but do not remember the reason for the mode switch to get out of that mode when a smaller image is to be displayed that does not need full screen.  i have seen no app that gets out like that.  most apps require user action to enter full screen, anyway, such as key F11.  so i blame it on the app.

Board footer