Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-23 14:00:33

NomAAd

How to customise destkop contents for new users?

Hello,

I was researching for the solution or any hint but couldn't find anything I could use so I thought I risk my question here.

I would like to create a customised default desktop for each new user that first logs in to his/her XFCE desktop, so that neither they need to create all the launchers for their work nor myself as an administrator after they log in to XFCE, similarly to the way the skeleton directory works. I see that when a user fist logs in to the desktop a set of default files and directories are created, I thought I could edit that.

Could you please hint me if there are instructions for this or how this needs to be done - if ever possible?

Any help is highly appreciated.

#2 2020-06-23 16:20:48

eriefisher

Re: How to customise destkop contents for new users?

You can edit /etc/skel. When new users are added the defaults are pulled from there. I don't know of any way to create different defaults every time a new user is created.

/etc/skel has just the as installed defaults. Any customizations done by your distro will likely be done there. If you, as a user, make customization you can copy them and replace the ones in /etc/skel. Every new user will have those defaults.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2020-06-25 06:57:07

NomAAd

Re: How to customise destkop contents for new users?

Thank you, this worked.

I hope you don't mind if I have an other, somewhat related question...

I want to have for the new users the default application menu on the top panel replaced with whiskermenu . For this as I see I would need an .rc file in ~/.config/xfce4/panel/ and in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml an entry in "plugin-ids" and a plugin entry for the whiskermenu.
Is this something that would work with having these from /etc/skel too? I'm unsure as I see that the plugin-ids are incremental...

Board footer