Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-23 14:08:12

vegancookies

invalid time xfce dropdown list

Please move if this is in the wrong sub-forum smile.

I was having issues with xfce time, I live in Europe/London, but had thought I was fine to do something like this:
GMT+1 / UTC+1

When I typed in G, a drop downlist occurred:
https://postimg.cc/fJ10QvNn
Edit: Not good with pdating images but trying to embedd the above link: bad dropdown list
GMT+1 was taking me instead on xfce to GMT-1
However, Europe/London has now fixed the issue.

The problem though is that for some reason:
GMT-1 xfce == GMT+1 real world
GMT+1 xfce == GMT-1 real world

I would suggest either abandoning the GMT/UTC input, not allowing a user to do that, or instead fixing the output so that it is showing correctly.

Apologies if this is already an issue but I haven't seen it posted anywhere online when searching.

Edit:
I have tested this in manjaro and in ubuntustudio in VM on manjaro.

Last edited by vegancookies (2020-06-23 14:13:02)

#2 2020-06-23 23:45:24

ToZ
Administrator

Re: invalid time xfce dropdown list

Hello and welcome.

This dialog grabs the values from your zoneinfo data (tzdata package). There might be an issue with tzdata configuration on your computer? Testing this on my computer, all GMT values return the same time - the correct GMT time. VM testing returns the same.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-06-24 12:13:41

vegancookies

Would that effect both my host OS and my virtual OS though? I've got it working anyway, using NTP services.

Also thanks for the welcome smile . Trying to get more into linux, and I think I'm starting to find the right communities (e.g. not ones who are elitist!)

Last edited by vegancookies (2020-06-24 12:15:34)

#4 2020-06-24 16:28:51

ToZ
Administrator

vegancookies wrote:

Would that effect both my host OS and my virtual OS though?

I'm not sure.

I've got it working anyway, using NTP services.

And I generally have NTP enabled on all of my systems. I'll see if I can find time to check here, but if you can replicate this on a second system, it might be worth a bug report against the clock plugin.

Also thanks for the welcome smile . Trying to get more into linux, and I think I'm starting to find the right communities (e.g. not ones who are elitist!)

No worries, we're pretty easy going here. The moderator tries hard not to be elitist, with varying success at times. Feel free to call him out if does something elitist though.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2020-06-24 17:56:15

eriefisher

I think this is confirmation. If I set the clock with time zone Canada/Eastern the time is correct. If I use GMT-4 8 hours gets added to my local time. GMT+4 results in the correct local time. This does seem reversed since I am 4 hours behind GMT/UTC.
Side note: I don't normally use that plug-in and use the Orage clock plug-in instead but I did not know it would accept the different formats.

I just thought of something. What is your hardware clock/bios set to? Local or GMT/UTC. It could be that it's being double corrected?????

Last edited by eriefisher (2020-06-24 17:58:53)

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#6 2020-06-25 14:48:42

vegancookies

eriefisher wrote:

I think this is confirmation. If I set the clock with time zone Canada/Eastern the time is correct. If I use GMT-4 8 hours gets added to my local time. GMT+4 results in the correct local time. This does seem reversed since I am 4 hours behind GMT/UTC.
Side note: I don't normally use that plug-in and use the Orage clock plug-in instead but I did not know it would accept the different formats.

I just thought of something. What is your hardware clock/bios set to? Local or GMT/UTC. It could be that it's being double corrected?????

well I've been through many attempted solutions, too many to actually keep a track of. My hardwareclock is set to 1 hour behind half the year, and accurate the other half, and windows and manjaro (and virual ubuntu) move it forward for the summer (day light savings) and back to what the hardware clock is. Windows is reading the hardware clock but has been turned off for updating the clock. Manjaro is keeping the hardware clock up to date.

And your replication of the issue looks to be exactly what I'm talking about, so massively appreciate you checking smile . I have an old laptop (not on dual boot) that I will test out a bit later, though I think I'll need to switch it to xfce.

#7 2020-06-25 15:27:48

vegancookies

I should add if anyone wants me to run a command in command line and show the print screen, feel free to ask!
Just please give me the exact command (and in case it makes a difference, I'm using manjaro).

Board footer