Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-25 22:21:48

MrEen

Application Autostart triggers (mostly) not working

Hi gang.

On Mint 19.3, the first version with Xfce 4.14, the on login trigger works fine, but the others (tested on logout and on shutdown only) are not working (properly)

For testing, I was using canberra-gtk-play -i desktop-logout and found a really strange result when I changed the command to this

/bin/sh -c 'sleep 10; canberra-gtk-play -i desktop-logout; sleep 3'

There was only a short delay before the login screen appeared, and if I logged in quickly enough, the logout sound did play, while the login sound was still playing that was set with the on login trigger.

In case it matters, the .desktop files created by the GUI have a RunHook parameter, that I'm guessing is from xfae-model.c. In this case, the values are numeric (0 based) starting with the on login. I see stuff in the code such as XfsmRunHook, so I'm not sure which package might be the guilty party here.

EDIT: Another Mint user was able to get the touch command to work, but not anything else so far. Maybe time for the command to run is the main factor here?

Last edited by MrEen (2020-06-25 22:52:10)

#2 2020-06-25 23:48:42

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Application Autostart triggers (mostly) not working

I think so. I also think that Xfce starts shutting X down so canberra-gtk-play will not be able to run (It requires a valid X session). I just tested this with a command like this:

bash -c "mplayer /path/to/sound/file && sleep 2"

...and it seems to work.  mplayer doesn't require an X session to run.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-06-26 00:34:48

MrEen

Ahh, thanks for that!

I had assumed the triggers would run a command (even a script that takes hours to run) before calling the triggered action. Now I know better. smile

#4 2020-06-26 00:45:13

ToZ
Administrator

MrEen wrote:

Ahh, thanks for that!

I had assumed the triggers would run a command (even a script that takes hours to run) before calling the triggered action. Now I know better. smile

There's probably a bug there. It should probably hold the X session until all logout trigger events complete. If you are interested in prusing this, you should create a bug report.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer