Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-23 19:28:38

Mixka

Any way to disable hidden (i.e. iconified) window feature?

I really like everything in XFCE, but this feature kills me more and more each day.

I have get used to minimize windows, but with XFCE windows goes "hidden" when minimized.

I do not like when I minimize window it get brackets around window name in taskbar and more than that I hate that it goes grayed out in windows switcher (alt-tab) and get moved last in the list.

Is there anything to do or do you have recommendation for better windows manager than xfwm4?

Thanks for all helping!

Last edited by Mixka (2020-03-23 19:28:54)

#2 2020-03-23 19:41:11

jogl

Re: Any way to disable hidden (i.e. iconified) window feature?

Do you have the "Panel 1", (the default top horizontal panel) working with the "Application Menu" in it?

#3 2020-03-23 20:25:55

ToZ
Administrator

Mixka wrote:

I do not like when I minimize window it get brackets around window name in taskbar

These just got removed by default in a recent commit. Depending on which distro you use, you'll have to wait a while until it's officially released and your distro picks it up..

and more than that I hate that it goes grayed out in windows switcher (alt-tab) and get moved last in the list.

I don't believe this is configurable. If you turn off window previews in the tabwin widget (check on Settings Manager > Window Manager Tweaks > Cycling > Cycle through windows in a list), then the minimized window won't be greyed out, but it will still be sent to the bottom of the list.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2020-03-24 08:53:34

Mixka

jogl wrote:

Do you have the "Panel 1", (the default top horizontal panel) working with the "Application Menu" in it?

I use Whisker Menu, but yes. Why?

ToZ wrote:

These just got removed by default in a recent commit. Depending on which distro you use, you'll have to wait a while until it's officially released and your distro picks it up..

I have version 4.14.1 with Centos 8. My default was brackets enabled and I can't find "label-decorations" setting from Settings Editor.

ToZ wrote:

I don't believe this is configurable. If you turn off window previews in the tabwin widget (check on Settings Manager > Window Manager Tweaks > Cycling > Cycle through windows in a list), then the minimized window won't be greyed out, but it will still be sent to the bottom of the list.

Any ideas for better fitting Window Switcher or Window Manager?

#5 2020-03-24 10:23:39

ToZ
Administrator

Mixka wrote:
ToZ wrote:

I have version 4.14.1 with Centos 8. My default was brackets enabled and I can't find "label-decorations" setting from Settings Editor.

The change will only be available in the 4.15.x development branch or the upcoming 4.16 release.

ToZ wrote:

Any ideas for better fitting Window Switcher or Window Manager?

Xfce is very modular. Feel free to test other window managers to see if they are more to your liking.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2020-03-24 10:48:36

jogl

I use Whisker Menu, but yes. Why?

I don't know anything about Whisker Menu, but what ever the default launcher (xfce4-panel?) is on the Debian version the "Application Menu" shows the running app's when they are minimized.

Looks like Whisker is a minimal launcher so the xfwm4, xfce4-panel, etc. that comes default with Debian may be to big for you?

#7 2020-03-24 15:21:52

Mixka

ToZ wrote:

Xfce is very modular. Feel free to test other window managers to see if they are more to your liking.

Any recommendations? I really like xfwm4, but my only problem is Application Switcher.

jogl wrote:

I don't know anything about Whisker Menu, but what ever the default launcher (xfce4-panel?) is on the Debian version the "Application Menu" shows the running app's when they are minimized.

Looks like Whisker is a minimal launcher so the xfwm4, xfce4-panel, etc. that comes default with Debian may be to big for you?

I'm using xfce4-panel and "taskbar". Only Application Menu is replaced with Whisker Menu. I'm not fully understand that how Application Menu is related to this. Do you mean Window Menu? My problem is not that I can't see minimized apps, my problem is that Window Switcher rearrange those minimized apps to end of the list.

#8 2020-03-24 16:13:58

ToZ
Administrator

Mixka wrote:
ToZ wrote:

Any recommendations? I really like xfwm4, but my only problem is Application Switcher.

I've only ever used xfwm4, so I don't have any experience with other window managers.

Here is a page about using kwin with Xfce.
And here is one on using openbox.

#9 2020-06-28 12:28:47

Mixka

This will do the trick:

client.c

// if (iconify)
    // {
    //     FLAG_SET (c->flags, CLIENT_FLAG_ICONIFIED);
    //     setWMState (display_info, c->window, IconicState);
    //     if (!screen_info->show_desktop)
    //     {
    //         clientSetLast (c);
    //     }
    // }

Last edited by Mixka (2020-06-28 12:29:44)

#10 2020-06-28 15:21:31

peter.48

I've never read this post before, I did it now when I saw Mixka's new reply. In the first post there is one thing that intrigued me a lot:

Mixka wrote:

I have get used to minimize windows, but with XFCE windows goes "hidden" when minimized.

And how does a window have to be minimized if it's not hidden????

#11 2020-06-28 19:13:07

Mixka

"Hidden" as iconify: grey out and add ugly brackets to Window menu, grey out app in alt-tab and move it to last of the list.

I used word "hidden" because better word did not come to mind and I used quotation marks because of that smile

#12 2020-06-29 15:20:08

peter.48

Now I'm not surprised anymore smile

Board footer