Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-01 13:17:38

woistmeinauto

I there a way to drag and drop to desktop?

I want to be able to drop stuff to the desktop like in windows. I mean the thing on the bottom right corner on windows. Any1 know of a way?

#2 2020-07-01 13:28:28

eriefisher

Re: I there a way to drag and drop to desktop?

If you go to settings>>desktop>>icons>>icon type and select file/launcher icons you can then drag and drop to the desktop.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2020-07-01 14:52:23

woistmeinauto

eriefisher wrote:

If you go to settings>>desktop>>icons>>icon type and select file/launcher icons you can then drag and drop to the desktop.

I think you misunderstood. I want to be able to do that without having to minimize anything. Since I usually have lots of maximized windows open.

#4 2020-07-01 15:53:57

eriefisher

Ok then, I have no idea what your after. I have not had a window machine since the early 2000's. I know you can also right click and send to desktop. That creates a link.

I have to ask, If you have lots of maximized windows how are you accessing the files and why do they need to be on the desktop???

Last edited by eriefisher (2020-07-02 11:35:09)

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#5 2020-07-02 01:35:06

ToZ
Administrator

You can add the "show desktop" widget to your panel. Then when you drag and hold a file over the panel applet, all the apps will minimize showing the desktop, at which point you can move and drop the file where you want. Clicking on the "show desktop" plugin again, will restore all of your windows.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2020-07-03 10:20:32

woistmeinauto

ToZ wrote:

You can add the "show desktop" widget to your panel. Then when you drag and hold a file over the panel applet, all the apps will minimize showing the desktop, at which point you can move and drop the file where you want. Clicking on the "show desktop" plugin again, will restore all of your windows.

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13869

I can't thank you enough for this. I set the plugin just as I wanted it and it's been working flawlessly, however it also means your answer to this topic is nonapplicable for me.
Do you know of a way to set this up with genmon?
And btw just not to ask for spoon feeding again, how can I master this genmon thing? It looks like it's really handy.

EDit: https://imgur.com/QeLodAC
I love this but it's missing just this feature, if I could add it, it would be perfect.

Last edited by woistmeinauto (2020-07-03 11:08:35)

#7 2020-07-03 11:07:30

woistmeinauto

eriefisher wrote:

Ok then, I have no idea what your after. I have not had a window machine since the early 2000's. I know you can also right click and send to desktop. That creates a link.

I have to ask, If you have lots of maximized windows how are you accessing the files and why do they need to be on the desktop???

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. If you kindly check ToZ's answer that's what I'm really after. Either I somehow get the show desktop plugin slim or I make genmon plugin somehow allow me to drop to desktop when I drag files over it.

#8 2020-07-04 01:09:08

ToZ
Administrator

woistemeinauto wrote:
ToZ wrote:

I can't thank you enough for this. I set the plugin just as I wanted it and it's been working flawlessly, however it also means your answer to this topic is nonapplicable for me.
Do you know of a way to set this up with genmon?
And btw just not to ask for spoon feeding again, how can I master this genmon thing? It looks like it's really handy.

EDit: https://imgur.com/QeLodAC
I love this but it's missing just this feature, if I could add it, it would be perfect.

Oh, right. In that case, what about something like xfce4-hotcorner-plugin? You should be able to hover your mouse in a screen corner of choice to also initiate a "show desktop" command.

Its a little strange having to resort to two different "hacks" to get this done. Perhaps you can consider creating an enhancement request against xfce4-panel requesting that the requirement for a square icon be dropped, so that the plugin supports non-square icons.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#9 2020-07-04 09:16:05

woistmeinauto

ToZ wrote:

Oh, right. In that case, what about something like xfce4-hotcorner-plugin? You should be able to hover your mouse in a screen corner of choice to also initiate a "show desktop" command.

Its a little strange having to resort to two different "hacks" to get this done. Perhaps you can consider creating an enhancement request against xfce4-panel requesting that the requirement for a square icon be dropped, so that the plugin supports non-square icons.

Are you absolutely sure about this square icon thing? How does separator work?

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way to edit an installed plugin. The only thing you can do is to change its desktop file and that only changes the icon shown in add items interface. The other file is a so file and seemingly it's a compiled code ie. binary. It's way beyond my skillset to alter that. I tried mixing up so and desktop files. I realised it's all happening in so, that's what determines the whole action and the icon, sadly.

https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins?page=1
Why show desktop plugin isn't available there I wonder?
I could try to add it with a different name and a different icon.

I found a show desktop plugin from goodies, which is a deprecated package.
https://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel … top-plugin

./configure throws this error:

checking for xfce4-panel-1.0 >= 4.0.0... Package xfce4-panel-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xfce4-panel-1.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable Package 'xfce4-panel-1.0', required by 'virtual:world', not found
configure: error: Library requirements (xfce4-panel-1.0 >= 4.0.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

Idk why this is so complicated hmm.

edit: https://gitlab.xfce.org/ochosi/xfce4-pa … howdesktop
I have found this, i tried to mix it up with sample plugin and install. However make doesn't work, naturally. I don't want to mess with the existing plugin so that's it, I might give up on xfce4-panel altogether. I don't want to use that huge plugin.

edit2: hotcorner plugin is not responding for me, it's only an icon, cannot right click and cannot edit from items tab.

Last edited by woistmeinauto (2020-07-04 15:20:02)

#10 2020-07-04 16:13:03

ToZ
Administrator

woistemeinauto wrote:

Are you absolutely sure about this square icon thing? How does separator work?

Here is the showdesktop plugin source code where it deals with the icon:

/* keep the button squared */
  size /= xfce_panel_plugin_get_nrows (panel_plugin);
  gtk_widget_set_size_request (GTK_WIDGET (panel_plugin), size, size);
  icon_size = xfce_panel_plugin_get_icon_size (panel_plugin);
  gtk_image_set_pixel_size (GTK_IMAGE (plugin->icon), icon_size);

And here is the separator icon source code. Notice that the separator is drawn on and is not using an icon.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way to edit an installed plugin. The only thing you can do is to change its desktop file and that only changes the icon shown in add items interface. The other file is a so file and seemingly it's a compiled code ie. binary. It's way beyond my skillset to alter that. I tried mixing up so and desktop files. I realised it's all happening in so, that's what determines the whole action and the icon, sadly.

Yes, it you'll need to change the code - there is no runtime setting for this.

https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins?page=1
Why show desktop plugin isn't available there I wonder?

Its part of xfce4-panel - a built-in plugin (as opposed to the extra ones listed on that page). The built-in ones can be found here.

I found a show desktop plugin from goodies, which is a deprecated package.
https://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel … top-plugin

./configure throws this error:

checking for xfce4-panel-1.0 >= 4.0.0... Package xfce4-panel-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `xfce4-panel-1.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable Package 'xfce4-panel-1.0', required by 'virtual:world', not found
configure: error: Library requirements (xfce4-panel-1.0 >= 4.0.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

It's deprecated because it was never updated to support the newer version of xfce4-panel.

#11 2020-07-04 16:27:58

ToZ
Administrator

woistemeinauto wrote:

edit2: hotcorner plugin is not responding for me, it's only an icon, cannot right click and cannot edit from items tab.

Yeah, its not working for me either. Here is a forum post regarding another option lwa-hot-corners.

#12 2020-07-09 12:37:43

woistmeinauto

Well, i haven't given up yet. I found a way. I created a separate panel for show desktop plugin
Its length is 1 and auto expand is disabled. Only thing on it is show desktop.
And then there is my main panel, which has 99 length with auto expand disabled..

However there is only 1 problem. The numbers, they don't add up, there is a gap even though it's just one single pixel wide i still don't want it. Once you start playing with it there is no going back i suppose.

So what i can do?
1) The best solution would be to somehow manually edit panel length if that is possible. I looked it up and found this : https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8619
And holy crap, that is extremely useful.
I think this is what i need but i have no clue how it works as of yet,i don't know if i can alter my existing panel using those commands and i also wonder if that would survive a restart?
ToZ says double type is supported, that's good news, i think that will allow me to set my panel length to fractional numbers.

2) I give my show desktop panel length of 2 and close the gap, but somehow i need to keep my main panel on top of it, right now the last panel i interact stays on top, somehow i need to make my main panel fixed on top. Again the same link seems to talk about a top panel and bottom panel but i'm not sure if it's in my context.

3) I can just edit my background image, that's lame yeah.

I will update once i manage to get this working.

Edit: I've found this line

<property name="length" type="uint" value="99"/>

in

/home/n/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

and then:

<property name="length" type="double" value="99.5"/>
xfce4-panel -r

But does not work.

Edit: After a restart xfce4-panel.xml reverts back.
Edit: By killing xfconf i managed to make the change permanent however the gap is still there. I think even though the type is double it somehow rounds length to an int. I know it registered the value because it automatically added zeroes to the end of 99.5, so that it is now 99.500000.

Last edit: Well i took the lame path edited my background image.

Last edited by woistmeinauto (2020-07-09 13:40:22)

#13 2020-07-10 18:51:11

woistmeinauto

Can anybody help? I need just a single bright idea.

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=14175
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=9499
Would it be possible to create a panel that stays below at all times? So that i can create a panel covering the gap, i tried but it's not staying below, what determines which panel stays on top?
I don't want to create more topics regarding this. Please help me out, i'm going nuts, trying to find something.
Please, i don't care how ridiculous or inefficient it is.
Just an idea, i'm out of them.
I went as far as editing the wallpaper but when i don't run windows on fullscreen they cover the gap, i use a dark theme and white windows just laugh at me looking thru the gap.

Edit: https://imgur.com/l13cVWC.png
The gap on the right bottom corner is where i need to fill.
Maybe something like conky that stays on top, like a screen defect? Would that be possible?
Maybe something half transparent? Cause i wouldn't mind not being able to click on clock?

How i want it to look at all times : https://imgur.com/871recT.png

Last edited by woistmeinauto (2020-07-10 19:17:35)

#14 2020-07-10 23:03:26

ToZ
Administrator

woistemeinauto wrote:

Would it be possible to create a panel that stays below at all times?

Have a read through this post but substitute "above" for "below".

#15 2020-07-11 19:28:31

woistmeinauto

ToZ wrote:
woistemeinauto wrote:

Would it be possible to create a panel that stays below at all times?

Have a read through this post but substitute "above" for "below".

Thanks a million. Every time I google it leads me to one of your posts. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Here's my setup, though i don't think it's of interest to any1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmyaF69luxM

I know what it looks like, but give me some credit it's not easy to give up on habits.

Now i'm off to work on nemo actions.

Edit:

#!/bin/sh -e
sleep 10
wmctrl -i -r $(wmctrl -lvuG | grep xfce4-panel | grep 1255 | awk '{print $1}') -b toggle,below

I just placed this with execute permissions to /home/n/bin named panelfix.sh and then added it to autostart, for the sake of portability.

Last edited by woistmeinauto (2020-07-11 19:35:42)

Board footer