Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-09 21:53:18

eriefisher

Window Frame Not Following Settings

Some background: I installed lightdm to replace sddm. Had some trouble getting it to work until I realized I had to enable it with sysytemctl. Anyway it's now working as it should. During the confusion I was able to start it from a VT login but the desktop theme was screwed up. Mix matched theme and icons. I started it as root then login as user.

So now I have lightdm working I went to reset all the icons and theme to previous settings but the window frame itself won't see the default. It should be adwaita and the "show desktop" icon is stuck with gnome-icons. Attached is a pic where I'm sitting now. Any ideas as what to do next?

https://imgur.com/DuCYdUJ.png

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#2 2020-07-09 22:00:51

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Window Frame Not Following Settings

Do you have an "Adwaita" xfwm4 theme and it's not showing up in the list? What's being displayed is the Default theme.

Make sure all of your "xf*" processes are running as your user and not as root.

For the places icon, try restarting the panel to see if that helps.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-07-09 22:52:44

eriefisher

Restarting the panel fixed the icon and I think everything is running. If I select any other theme on the list it's different then what's shown in the pic. I grabbed the Adwaita-Dark from gnome-look but it has Mac style buttons. Not near as nice. The original theme is still in /usr/share/themes/adwaita-dark it just doesn't show up for selection.

UrVOFdR.png

7U2RMfB.png

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#4 2020-07-09 23:04:30

ToZ
Administrator

eriefisher wrote:

The original theme is still in /usr/share/themes/adwaita-dark it just doesn't show up for selection.

Can I see the contents of  /usr/share/themes/adwaita-dark and  /usr/share/themes/adwaita-dark/xfwm4 if it exists?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2020-07-10 11:12:21

eriefisher

Inside the folder is the index.theme, gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0 folders. Inside the gtk-3.0 is a css file only. The gtk-2.0 contains rc files and a assets folder with buttons etc. There is no xfwn4 folder/file.
I found another adwaita theme and just copied over the xfwm4 folder and it's working.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#6 2020-07-10 11:26:28

eriefisher

Well Partially worked. The desktop menu and logout dialogue are not following the theme. Also on every restart the "show desktop" icon reverts back to gnome-icon-theme. Restarting the panel corrects that but it must be in a saved session somewhere.

qtDJqwK.png

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#7 2020-07-10 14:45:49

eriefisher

OK, got it. I saved the session and logged out and back in and everything is now following the theme. I have no idea what happened to the xfwm4 folder in the them folder. The one i finally ended up with is a little thicker on the title bar but it works. Maybe I will look into editing the css to thin it out a bit.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#8 2020-07-10 15:16:53

ToZ
Administrator

eriefisher wrote:

OK, got it. I saved the session and logged out and back in and everything is now following the theme. I have no idea what happened to the xfwm4 folder in the them folder. The one i finally ended up with is a little thicker on the title bar but it works. Maybe I will look into editing the css to thin it out a bit.

The window manager theme doesn't use CSS - it is pixmap-based. Se: https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/xfwm4_theme.

I've used the following script to automate the resize of xfwm4 themes:

#!/bin/bash
# needs to be exectuted from within the xfwm4 directory
# need to specify percentage change

if (( $1 >= 0 )) 2>/dev/null; then
	echo -n "resizing xpms"
	for name in `find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -name "*.xpm"`; do convert "$name" -alpha on -resize "$1"% $name; echo -n "."; done
	echo ""	
	echo -n "resizing pngs"
	for name in `find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -name "*.png"`; do convert "$name" -alpha on -resize "$1"% $name; echo -n "."; done
	echo ""
else
	echo "Usage $0 <SCALE_FACTOR>"
	echo"   Where <SCALE_FACTOR> is > 0"
fi   

...you would run it in the xfwm4 folder (make sure you have a backup first) and pass it a scale factor (100 being same size, < 100 = shrunk, > 100 = enlarged).

It's not perfect, but its not bad either. Mostly its quick.

#9 2020-07-10 15:27:25

eriefisher

Thanks ToZ, I realized that after i posted. I managed to get back the way it was originally by playing with it anyway. I will keep that script in my pocket though.

Thanks again

LouCG8P.png

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

Board footer