Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-10 17:26:14

Troglodyte

Parole won't stream videos

Trying Parole media player for the first time (Version 1.0.5 on xubuntu 20.04), and any video I try to stream (youtube for example) produces an error.  It wants a "text/html decoder", but when I try to install it I get an error.  I can't find anything online to help me.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

BNQrV6O.png
UmWKHd2.png

#2 2020-07-10 23:00:33

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Parole won't stream videos

Does installing the xubuntu-restricted-extras package help? If not, make sure all "recommends and suggests" packages are installed.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-07-13 21:13:55

Troglodyte

ToZ wrote:

Does installing the xubuntu-restricted-extras package help? If not, make sure all "recommends and suggests" packages are installed.

there is no xubuntu-restricted-extras for focal, but I do have ubuntu-restricted-extras and xubuntu-restricted-addons installed.  And as far as I can tell, all the recommends are installed too.  sad

#4 2020-07-13 22:34:02

eriefisher

I have seen the same issue and never found a solution. Youtube for example won't play because the address does not point to the video and Parole does not have the ability to locate it. Usually a live stream will work with say .mp? extension or any actual direct video link.

I have searched high and low. Installed everything that I could find that would remotely be related. All gst* base, good, bad, ugly. I have installed as many audio/video codecs as I could find and nothing. Some of the links that Parole struggled with VLC plays without issue. I gave up. It will play any local A/V I throw at it but remote files are a toss up.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#5 2020-07-14 16:09:38

Troglodyte

eriefisher wrote:

I have seen the same issue and never found a solution. Youtube for example won't play because the address does not point to the video and Parole does not have the ability to locate it. Usually a live stream will work with say .mp? extension or any actual direct video link.

I have searched high and low. Installed everything that I could find that would remotely be related. All gst* base, good, bad, ugly. I have installed as many audio/video codecs as I could find and nothing. Some of the links that Parole struggled with VLC plays without issue. I gave up. It will play any local A/V I throw at it but remote files are a toss up.

That's the conclusion I'm coming to.  I just don't like VLC anymore.  Something about the interface just doesn't sit well with me.  I was really hoping for Parole - since like the rest of XFCE it seems clean and simple.  Oh well.

Board footer