Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-11 08:32:57

qastokes

Change xfce-power-manager Brightness Reduction Longer than 120 seconds

I have GalliumOS running on my Acer C720 and xfce is pretty great so far. But, I want a longer screen timeout length. 120 seconds is shorter than I often spend thinking at the keyboard between text entry while working, so its quite distracting and disruptive to my focus and flow.

I tried editing the value for "brightness-on-battery" in /.config/xfce4/xconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-power-manager.xml
Which didn't work either for my screen brighteness timeout or register on the GUI slider under Power-manager>Display>Brightness Reduction>On Battery

The slider does change this value, but the value in the xml doesn't affect anything in reverse, so probably I'm editing the wrong file? Or perhaps its ignored, as it exceeds the hard limit of 120 secs? Ideally I would like to change said hard limit.

What do?

Thanks,

Geo

P.S. I could set it to never, but that's no nearly as fun as playing with deep configuration, nor does it present an optimal setting.

Last edited by qastokes (2020-07-11 08:35:01)

#2 2020-07-11 12:40:05

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Change xfce-power-manager Brightness Reduction Longer than 120 seconds

Hello and welcome.

Yes, there is a hardcoded limit of 120.

Out of curiosity, if you manually increase the value via:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -p /xfce4-power-manager/brightness-on-battery -s 240

...does it work? I don't see a check in the code, other than at startup, to validate the value.

And yes, editing that file won't help. Those settings are stored in memory and written to the file by the component. It doesn't work the other way around unless you edit the file while not logged in. But in this particular case, there is a check that only allows a max value of 120 on startup - default is 9.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-07-11 22:41:56

qastokes

Re: Change xfce-power-manager Brightness Reduction Longer than 120 seconds

I think this command breaks the timeout. I timed it for 8 minutes and nothing. Same as a Never setting.

Board footer