Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-14 10:00:21

jamat13

workspace settings

I want to install xfce4 with 2 workspace settings.
I made a copy of the settings (everything) in .config/xfce4 with everything setup, but that does NOT create a workspace switcher. If I add a workspace switcher plug-in THEN my work spce settings and position are restored.
openSuSE, manjaro but not ubuntu install xfce with workspace switcher enabled and my .config/xfce4 backup does recall position and settings.
So the key issue is how to enable the workspace switcher plugin.
How do I do that?

#2 2020-07-14 10:35:07

eriefisher

Re: workspace settings

Most installations I've seen the default is usually 2 workspaces. Your saying Ubuntu doesn't even have the plugin active? I would post the question to them if that's the case.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2020-07-14 19:58:58

MrEen

jamat13 wrote:

How do I do that?

Right click on an empty spot on the panel and navigate to Panel > Add New Items and choose Workplace Switcher

If you need to edit some property, Panel > Panel Preferences > Items tab, click on Workspace Switcher then click on the Edit button.

I assume I'm not misunderstanding the question.

#4 2020-07-14 22:05:25

jamat13

MrEen wrote:
jamat13 wrote:

How do I do that?

Right click on an empty spot on the panel and navigate to Panel > Add New Items and choose Workplace Switcher

If you need to edit some property, Panel > Panel Preferences > Items tab, click on Workspace Switcher then click on the Edit button.

I assume I'm not misunderstanding the question.

I have an ongoing list of non-computer savy users, It is a major support issue to walk each one thru. I really need the setup correct. (This is a technical application for commercial divers)

looks like read the source Luke is the only answer

#5 2020-07-14 23:09:09

MrEen

Does /usr/share/xfce4/panel/plugins/pager.desktop exist?

Last edited by MrEen (2020-07-14 23:09:31)

#6 2020-07-15 05:59:19

jamat13

Just to complete the loop if anybody uses this as a reference xfconf-query settings is where the magic happens.

run this
xfconf-query -l | sed -r -e '/Channels:/d' | while read line; do xfconf-query -lv -c "${line}" | sed -r -e "s/^/${line} /"; done > my-settings.xfconf
Add the workspace plugin with the GUI
Run the query again and compare. Add the pager plugin as the diff shows. Remember to add a new item like this
xfconf-query -c ... -p ... -v ... -n -type string

Board footer