Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-15 18:28:56

armoredkitten

"Action Buttons" menu not consistently using theme

Hi there,

I have been using Xfce with the Flat Remix Blue Dark theme (not the most recent version but I have tried that as well -- doesn't fix the issue). Recently I swapped out the xfwm4 window manager for i3wm, still sitting inside Xfce. After doing this, the theme is still applied, everything looks great, except for the menu that pops up with the "Action Buttons" plugin in the xfce4-panel when you click the "Log out..." button. Instead of the dark theme and custom icons, I get this: https://imgur.com/JcrVOz9

When I was still using xfwm, it looked like this: https://imgur.com/uaIATFV And on my other computer which is using the exact same theme (and still using xfwm), it looks like this as well (that's where I took the screenshot from).

The bizarre thing to me is that even though it usually looks this way, there's been the occasional time after a reboot where the menu does display the dark theme. 90% of the time it doesn't, but there are just these rare occasions where it has worked properly. It makes me think there's some sort of race condition where it's pulling from two different themes and the white theme is usually faster or something.

This is the only menu I've seen that has this issue. The icons are also correct on the panel itself, just not in the popup menu when clicking "Log out...".

Does anyone have any insight into what's going on, or where I should look to figure out the issue?

Thanks!

#2 2020-07-15 20:34:15

ToZ
Administrator

Re: "Action Buttons" menu not consistently using theme

Hello and welcome.

The good news is that it has been fixed but I'm guessing that your distro is using an earlier version. Which distro and which version of Xfce are you running? There might be a workaround that you can use until your distro updates

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-07-15 20:45:23

armoredkitten

Well, it's been like this for at least a couple months, and I'm running Arch Linux with Xfce 4.14. So I don't think it's an issue of being out of date, unfortunately smile

But that is definitely something I should have mentioned in the original post!

Last edited by armoredkitten (2020-07-15 21:02:16)

#4 2020-07-15 22:16:48

ToZ
Administrator

This is the fix I was thinking about but you would already have it.

Does running:

xfsettingsd --replace

...fix the log out dialog theming?

You could also try clearing your sessions cache (delete the contents of ~/.cache/sessions when not logged in) in case there are some stale program orderings in there.

You can also use the following as a template to theme the logout dialog. Put the content in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

.xfsm-logout-dialog {
	-gtk-icon-theme: "Vibrancy-Colors-Dark";

min-width: 20px;
 	min-height: 25px;
  	margin-top: 2px;
  	padding-bottom: 3px;
  	padding-left: 6px;
  	padding-right: 6px;
  	color: #eeeeec;
  	background-color: #393f3f;
  	border: 1px solid;
  	border-color: #393f3f;
  	border-radius: 5px;
  	font-size: smaller; 
}

.xfsm-logout-dialog button {
	background-image: none;
  	color: #eeeeec;
  	background-color: #393f3f;
  	border: 1px solid;
  	border-color: #393f3f;
}

...and adjust the values to suit.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2020-07-15 22:44:34

armoredkitten

Ahh okay, yes,

xfsettingsd --replace

indeed fixes the issue!

Right now I have xfsettingsd in my "Sessions and Startup" -- though now I can't recall if I ever tried my setup without it in there. I did follow the instructions on the Arch wiki for replacing the window manager, which includes adding xfsettingsd to the session, but I'm not sure if that's sufficient to run it on login or not. I'll try removing it from application autostart and see what happens. pgrep is only returning one active xfsettingsd process but maybe I'm causing conflicts if I'm running it twice on login or something. I really don't understand all of Xfce's moving parts, clearly smile

Edit: Okay, removing it from Application Autostart and logging in again doesn't seem to make a difference (the theme is still generally applied), but the logout menu is still unthemed. However, running

xfsettingsd --replace

fixes it again.

Clearing my sessions cache does nothing except ruin the delicate balance of getting i3 to run without xfdesktop barging in and opening in a window that is very difficult to close haha. I only had one session in there anyway. So it doesn't seem to be a sessions issue.

Last edited by armoredkitten (2020-07-15 22:55:39)

#6 2020-07-15 22:58:08

ToZ
Administrator

That's what the patch I linked should have fixed. This is strange.

What version of xfsettingsd and xfce4-session are you running (just to confirm):

xfsettingsd -V
xfce4-session -V

You could create an autostart entry to run "sleep 10 && xfsettingsd --replace" to automatically restart the process during start to workaround the issue, but it really should be fixed by now.

#7 2020-07-15 23:29:55

armoredkitten

It's showing me:

$ xfsettingsd -V
xfsettingsd 4.14.3 (Xfce 4.14)
$ xfce4-session -V
xfce4-session 4.14.2 (Xfce 4.14)

(Minus the extra copyright statements.)

Yeah for sure, I can easily create a little one-liner for the autostart, that's no problem. If that ends up being the solution, that's fine. You've gotten me 90% of the way there, so thanks! I am now digging through the bug reports connected with the patch you linked to -- seems like this section of the code has been changed quite a few times trying to squash one bug, with another one popping up. I can gladly file a bug report on it (or add a comment to the existing one), but for now the one-liner will do the trick. Thanks again!

Board footer