Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-16 18:24:46

Laurentius

link to google drive file (web) opens file with wrong google account

Hello.
I'm not sure if this question suits here or I should ask somewhere else.

I have two google accounts.
One account I use more often as I use it for daily job tasks. I have some files which I read and write there daily.
One of those files is a shared file. I was shared that file for job and I have read/write permission on that file with this account.
Let's call this account "account-1"

I have another google account for personal mailing mostly that I use also, but less, currently. Let's call this "account-2"

While working with account-1, editing some documents (spreadsheets) I have made links (desktop configuration files) for two of these files (one for a file created by me and the other for the shared file) dragging the address to the desktop so I have two desktop configuration files.

The link that points to my own created file on G-Drive opens the the file with my account-1, as expected.
Instead, the link that points to the shared file opens the file with account-2.
This is inconvenient because i don't have writing permission with account-2. So I have to change account to be able to edit it.

But also it is odd. What makes one link to use one account and the second another?. I have created both the same way...
Both links show same ownership and permission.

Thanks.
Xfce 4.14.2
Thunar 1.8.14
MX Linux 19.2

Last edited by Laurentius (2020-07-16 18:26:41)

#2 2020-07-16 19:33:52

eriefisher

Re: link to google drive file (web) opens file with wrong google account

I know with Firefox and likely Chrome as well it defaults to the last login. I have 2 accounts with google under different names. If I log in with one it will always default to it until I log out. If I stay logged out and go to say gmail.com I'm presented with a choice of 2 account to login in with. It seems though, that once i'm logged in I stay logged in under that user name even it I close the browser/tab until I log out.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2020-07-16 20:04:26

Laurentius

Thank you EF for you reply.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I have been using Firefox as main browser (currently version 78.0.2)

Indeed, if I close session of google accounts I am asked to start one to access drive, and if I have only logged in in one, the links open with that account. So this can be considered a workaround.

But this is not usually the way I use this things. I am at home so I  do not usually close session in accounts, even if not using them right now.
Somehow, I don't know if because the login order or because account-1 is linked to the firefox-sync feature of the user's profile (EDIT: yes, the first account to log in seems to have preference), account-1 has preference for goggle accounts: If i open browser and go to google, it uses account-1, automatically (because I mostly use this one and usually log into that one first whenever I have closed session). So I would expect that links are opened with this account-1

But, no matter which order of logins i have had, which was first and which last, if I have logged in on both without closing session, the shared-file's link opens with account-2  while the my-file's link opens with account-1.

Even when I have created links when logged in at the same account.

Last edited by Laurentius (2020-07-16 20:21:58)

#4 2020-07-17 16:28:42

codenamepicnic

You can use Firefox Containers to separate your 2 Google Accounts, this way you don't need to log out.

Board footer