Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-25 19:29:41

mireiner

How to change Firefox min/max/close buttons?

Hi there,

I'm quite new to Linux and Xfce. For my 2k monitor and I already have increased the size of most Xfce UI elements succesfully. But there are a few applications I wasn't able to increase the windows title bar and its min/max/close buttons which is typically done by changing the theme in Xfce "Window-Manager" settings.

For example Firefox only reacts to changes in Xfce "Appearance" settings where the main theme is selected. But doesn't respond to theme changes in Xfce "Window-Manager", whereas 90% of all other applications do change the window border theme fine.

Why do some applications doesn't apply changes of Xfce Window-Manager? How to change the theme of the window frame elements and the size of the min/max/close buttons for applications like Firefox?

Last edited by mireiner (2020-07-25 19:39:18)

#2 2020-07-25 20:53:36

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to change Firefox min/max/close buttons?

Hello and welcome.

By default (?), firefox uses Client Side Decorations. These cannot be managed by the window manager because CSD window decorations are drawn by the application. Fortunately, you can revert firefox to regular titlebars (in Customize, select the "Title Bar" option).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-07-25 21:47:42

mireiner

Hi ToZ,

thanks for the welcome and your reply.

I like to use Firefox without titlebar - so that's no option in my case.
Firefox also doesn't respond to CSS changes in UserChrome.css. Firefox min/max/close buttons only react to theme changes in "Appearance" settings. Meanwhile I found a Xfce hidpi Arc theme fork that does increase the Firefox buttons a bit. I think I can live with that: https://github.com/loichu/arc-theme-xfwm4-hidpi

Maybe I should stop making adjustments anyway and be satisfied with what I've achieved so far. Because I just read that Xfce 4.16 will adopt the Client Side Decoration by default later this year. Probably the subject of Xfce theming will be rewritten anyway then:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/01/xfc … decoration

Thanks again,
mireiner

Last edited by mireiner (2020-07-25 21:51:28)

#4 2020-07-26 17:49:53

alcornoqui

To enable userChrome.css in Firefox 68 and below, you don't need to do anything.

But since Firefox 69, you have to go to about:config, find the following setting and change it from false to true:

toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets

firefox-75-about-config.png

For the contents of the userChrome.css I can't help you, but here's a related thread in Reddits's r/FirefoxCSS where there are some amazingly knowledgeable and friendly fellows.

If you don't get it resolved now here, I encourage you to try there.

#5 2020-07-27 16:33:27

codenamepicnic

mireiner wrote:

For example Firefox only reacts to changes in Xfce "Appearance" settings where the main theme is selected. But doesn't respond to theme changes in Xfce "Window-Manager", whereas 90% of all other applications do change the window border theme fine.

If Firefox is set not use a Titlebar, then you can change the border using the Settings Manager->Window Manager preferences.
If Firefox is set to use a Titlebar, then the Style selected in Settings Manager->Appearance will take effect.
For both options, the layout of window controls (min,max,close) can be configured in Settings Manager->Window Manager.

Applications using CSD will use the GTK Style selected in Settings Manager->Appearance for their window border (gnome-disks, evince, lollypop, lutris, etc.).
Applications written in gtk2 or explicitly set to use a window border will use Window Manager aka xfwm4-settings (parole, gimp, thunar, libreoffice, etc.).

xfce is in a proccess of being ported to gtk3 and CSD so the theming definitely will change in the future.

Overall, xfce support for hidpi isn't the best. Try these options from the arch wiki:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Gdk/WindowScalingFactor -s 2
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/theme -s Default-xhdpi

The first option will 2x scale windows using GTK3/CSD, the second will set the window border to the default big buttons shipped with xfce.

Board footer