Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-27 20:19:54

luvr

eject option missing on desktop icon, but present on side-pane icon

When I want to remove external (USB) disks, their desktop icons offer only an “Unmount” option on their context menus.
However, in a folder view, their side-pane icons include an “Eject” option as well.

Since the “Unmount” action keeps them powered on, they will get forcibly powered off when I physically disconnect them from the computer (and I can hear them shut down as if they’re in a sudden panic). Thus, I really do prefer to “Eject” them before disconnecting them.

How come that their desktop icons lack the “Eject” option, while it operates perfectly fine when I select it from the side-pane icons?

I experience this behaviour under Xubuntu 18.04 and 20.04, as well as Slackware 14.2 and Slackware-Current. If I’m not mistaken, Xubuntu 20.04 runs Xfce 4.14, while the other three run Xfce 4.12.

#2 2020-07-28 14:46:02

alcornoqui

Re: eject option missing on desktop icon, but present on side-pane icon

FWIW, I run Xubuntu 18.04 (and MX-Linux 19) and I do have the option to eject external disks in the right clik menu of the desktop icon in both distros.

#3 2020-08-09 09:01:09

luvr

alcornoqui wrote:

FWIW, I run Xubuntu 18.04 (and MX-Linux 19) and I do have the option to eject external disks in the right clik menu of the desktop icon in both distros.

That’s strange, because for me, the “Eject” option is missing from the context menus, both on my laptop and on my desktop computer.
Any idea how the system decides whether or not to display the option?

#4 2020-08-09 12:20:31

alcornoqui

Make sure you have thunar-volman installed.

Relevant section of the docs: Using Removable Drives and Media (link goes straight to the section "Managing Removable Drives and Media".

Good luck!

#5 2020-08-11 18:26:37

luvr

alcornoqui wrote:

Make sure you have thunar-volman installed.

That is installed, actually. On my Ubuntu 18.04 system, e.g., it says:

thunar-volman 0.8.1 (Xfce 4.12)

Copyright (c) 2004-2007 Benedikt Meurer <benny@xfce.org>
Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Jannis Pohlmann <jannis@xfce.org>

All rights reserved.

Please report bugs to <http://bugzilla.xfce.org/>.

Relevant section of the docs: Using Removable Drives and Media (link goes straight to the section "Managing Removable Drives and Media".

Good luck!

Well, my Removable Storage options are set to the exact same states as displayed in the screenshot. I suddenly did remember that XFCE has a habit of getting confused about its settings until after you actually touch them for the first time, so I toggled them twice.

No change, though.

Now, I can get by opening a folder view window and ejecting from there, but it seems rather silly that it won't work directly from the context menu, doesn't it?

#6 2020-08-30 14:50:51

luvr

Problem remains.
However, on the icons for my USB sticks, the “Eject” option does appear. Hadn’t noticed this before, because I had been testing with disks only.

Is there any info available on how XFCE decides which options go in the menu, and which ones are left out?

#7 2020-09-12 18:50:46

luvr

Hmmm... Must be some sort of issue with my hardware. On my dad's laptop, the Eject option does show up in the context menus.

Last edited by luvr (2020-09-12 18:51:06)

Board footer