Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-31 15:33:25

aldQueiroz

Hello, I have a question

Hello, everybody.
I have a question about customization of XFCE (version 4.14, running over MX LINUX 19.2); or, more precisely, about behavior of "action button" at panel. There are two users at my system (myself and one other), and I've noticed that the "logout..." button at the edge of the panel doesn't bring the same options at each user! At my own user sessions, that button offers "Session logout, Restart, Shutdown, Suspend, and Switch User" options, while in sessions of the other user, there are all those former options and plus "Lock Screen", "Suspend", "Hibernate" and "Hybrid Sleep" (!), and I couldn't figure out why the difference, neither how to change it... The action button seems to work normally for both users (although I've not ever tried 'hibernate' nor 'suspend' options...), but my doubt is why the other user does have such different settings of the very same external plugin in the panel (but tweaking with configurations of the panel, I found that within my user's session that plugin is internally identified as "actions-9", while when in sessions of the other user it is identified as "actions-5" !)

Thanks in advance for your attention!

Last edited by aldQueiroz (2020-08-01 23:19:20)

#2 2020-07-31 20:46:38

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Hello, I have a question

Hello and welcome.

The action identifier doesn't matter here. There are a number of ways to ensure that a specific user has the rights to power manage a device.

First, if you right-click the actions buttons and select Properties, you have the ability to select which options appear in the menu. If that doesn't work, look at the difference between group memberships - perhaps one has access to a power group that the other doesn't.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-08-01 21:29:20

aldQueiroz

Thank you, ToZ
Well, I took a look into groups memberships' differences between each user; there isn't any significant difference!! Quite strange...
Maybe (just maybe...) the different behavior could be related to the way I have migrated from another distro (I used Ubuntu 18.04 with Gnome, and changed to MX Linux & XFCE, keeping the same /home and former users' directories)... I wonder if some config file from previous installation is out there...
Otherwise, is there a simple way to "restore" user to default session configuration?
Thanks again!!

Last edited by aldQueiroz (2020-08-01 21:30:29)

#4 2020-08-01 21:50:04

ToZ
Administrator

Can you post the results of this command from both user accounts? It will list the items that are enabled in the actions plugin:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep action | awk '{print $1}')/items

We can compare the two lists.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2020-08-01 23:01:47

aldQueiroz

Ok, there is the answer I've got (loged in as my own user):

andre_luiz@MFD:~$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep action | awk '{print $1}')/items
Value is an array with 11 items:

-lock-screen
-switch-user
-separator
-suspend
-hibernate
-separator
-shutdown
-restart
-separator
+logout
-logout-dialog
andre_luiz@MFD:~$ su luci_maria
Password: 
luci_maria@MFD:/home/andre_luiz$ cd /home/luci_maria
luci_maria@MFD:~$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep action | awk '{print $1}')/items
Failed to init libxfconf: The connection is closed.
Failed to init libxfconf: The connection is closed.
luci_maria@MFD:~$ 

But I'll try to get a more complete answer later..

#6 2020-08-01 23:15:03

aldQueiroz

The result of that command for the second user:

luci_maria@MFD:~$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep action | awk '{print $1}')/items
O valor é uma matriz com 12 itens:

-lock-screen
-switch-user
-separator
-suspend
-hibernate
-hybrid-sleep
-separator
-shutdown
-restart
-separator
+logout
-logout-dialog

#7 2020-08-02 00:00:08

ToZ
Administrator

Hmm, they are the same.

aldQueiroz wrote:

Otherwise, is there a simple way to "restore" user to default session configuration?

Since you are using MXLinux, I would suggest asking at their forums (or perhaps Jerry can advise if he's around), on how to properly reset an account. I'm not sure where their new user settings are.

#8 2020-08-02 00:49:52

aldQueiroz

MX Linux forum isn't showing many activity these days... I've opened two topics there recently, and got no response...

#9 2020-08-02 00:57:34

aldQueiroz

ToZ wrote:

Hmm, they are the same.

Not exactly... At my user (andre_luiz) there is no "hybernate-sleep" entrance...
I am away from the desktop right now, but I'll try to get screenshots of both users' sessions, showing the difference of each "logout..." button, although configurations seem to be equal.
Anyway, I appreciate your kind attention, ToZ!
Regards!

#10 2020-08-02 01:16:49

ToZ
Administrator

Sorry I missed that. What happens if you remove the Actions plugin and then re-add it? It should pick up all of the options.

#11 2020-08-02 02:16:12

aldQueiroz

I thought on doing it, but I was afraid of screwing up all usability of user's session... Besides, the action button "logout..." appears also on Whisker menu, and with the very same behavior! Strange, don't you think?
Well, I will check it out later.
Thanks again!

Last edited by aldQueiroz (2020-08-22 12:45:09)

#12 2021-02-12 22:40:04

aldQueiroz

Hi, I'm back to this very thread. Past almost 8 months since my last visit, I haven't yet got have an answer why one user of my MX Linux system does have "hybrid-sleep" (Hibernation-hybrid) appearing among logout options, while the other user (me) doesn't...!
After some tweaking into the system, according to instructions as per a thread in MX Linxu forum:
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2&start=10
I've got a different output for the command

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep action | awk '{print $1}')/items

As follows:

andre_luiz@MFD:~$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p $(xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep action | awk '{print $1}')/items

-lock-screen
-switch-user
-separator
-suspend
-hibernate
-separator
-shutdown
-restart
-separator
+logout
-logout-dialog
-hybrid-sleep
andre_luiz@MFD:~$ 

While for the other user..

-lock-screen
-switch-user
-separator
-suspend
-hibernate
-hybrid-sleep
-separator
-shutdown
-restart
-separator
+logout
-logout-dialog

Recently I knew that " XFCE 4.14 had the hybrid sleep button by default, and MX did something to hide it on fresh installs."
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 62#p539262; then, it's my own user which has the hybrid button hidden, while the other not (I migrated my system from Ubuntu 20.04 with GNOME to MX Linux, but I kept the configurations of the other user.. I guess that's what caused the difference, but I don't know how to change it...)

This issue doesn't impeach usability of the whole system, but it's always odd to have something about your own system you can't settle as you wish..
I look forward to have some comments enlightening this and, if possible, explaining how to change both users' XFCE configurations to enable / disable hybrid-sleep action button!
Regards!

Last edited by aldQueiroz (2021-02-17 18:12:50)

#13 2021-02-13 00:14:14

ToZ
Administrator

Can you post back the results of the following commands for both users?

groups
xfconf-query -c xfce4-session -lv

Please reboot before logging into each session.

Board footer