Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-09 15:55:39

shinix

[SOLVED] Create new menu or edit with menulibre

SOLUTION:

ToZ wrote:

menulibre doesn't appear to have the ability to load different menus.

However, you can work around this. It will load the ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu menu by default. You could:
1. rename your main file (careful you don't delete it)
2. rename your xfce4-system-menu.menu file to xfce-applications.menu (note: your Whisker/applicationsmenu/desktop menu files will temporarily change but will return by the end of this process)
3. fire up menulibre and make the necessary changes
4. rename the newly edited xfce-applications.menu back to xfce4-system-menu.menu
5. restore your original xfce-applications.menu file

For example:

cd ~/.config/menus
cp xfce-applications.menu xfce-applications.menu.BAK
cp xfce4-system-menu.menu xfce-applications.menu
menulibre
mv xfce-applications.menu xfce4-system-menu.menu
mv xfce-applications.menu.BAK xfce-applications.menu

Note: in the event that xfce-applications.menu file doesn't exist, it means your system is using the default menu from somewhere in the /etc/xdg tree (depends on the distro). If this is the case, just ignore the steps of copying and restoring xfce-applications.menu.

ORIGINAL:

Hi so I'm trying to recreate desktop layouts on xfce, and I'm now trying to recreate gnome2 with Applications, places and system.

Right now I'm using Applications default menu, for places I found a panel-plugin and for system I found a spanish blog that had an example for a system menu but with code only, it works and it's ok but I was wondering if I could load that file and edit it in menulibre as I can't find any option.

Thanks.

Last edited by shinix (2020-10-10 13:49:49)

#2 2020-10-09 16:44:59

alcornoqui

Re: [SOLVED] Create new menu or edit with menulibre

Take a look at ~/.config/menus/xfce.applications.menu, in particular the section starting with:

<Directory>xfce-settings.directory</Directory>

Is it similar to the example you found? Please share the link anyway.

For the user account, MenuLibre gets its menu elements from ~/.config/menus and ~/.local/share/desktop-directories, and the individual items come from ~/.local/share/applications.

The Desktop Menu Specification is a bit heavy but has most of the answers.

Good luck pisha!

#3 2020-10-10 11:52:25

shinix

hmm I don't know if I haven't express myself correctly but what I'm asking is if it's possible to load the menu file I have (xfce4-system-menu.menu) in menulibre to edit it graphically instead of a text-editor because right now if I want to edit it opens the default xfce-applications.menu

btw: this is the menu I used link

#4 2020-10-10 12:19:50

ToZ
Administrator

menulibre doesn't appear to have the ability to load different menus.

However, you can work around this. It will load the ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu menu by default. You could:
1. rename your main file (careful you don't delete it)
2. rename your xfce4-system-menu.menu file to xfce-applications.menu (note: your Whisker/applicationsmenu/desktop menu files will temporarily change but will return by the end of this process)
3. fire up menulibre and make the necessary changes
4. rename the newly edited xfce-applications.menu back to xfce4-system-menu.menu
5. restore your original xfce-applications.menu file

For example:

cd ~/.config/menus
cp xfce-applications.menu xfce-applications.menu.BAK
cp xfce4-system-menu.menu xfce-applications.menu
menulibre
mv xfce-applications.menu xfce4-system-menu.menu
mv xfce-applications.menu.BAK xfce-applications.menu

Note: in the event that xfce-applications.menu file doesn't exist, it means your system is using the default menu from somewhere in the /etc/xdg tree (depends on the distro). If this is the case, just ignore the steps of copying and restoring xfce-applications.menu.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2020-10-10 13:48:27

shinix

Thanks, doing that made it work smile

Board footer