Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-15 01:38:05

MagusZ

Will Xfce Support Suspending On My Device?

Hi,

I am using an 81X2 IdeaPad Flex 5 14ARE05. It is a very new model as far as I know (bought it in June). It has an AMD Ryzen 7 4700U with Radeon Graphics (8) @ 2.000GHz for the CPU and an AMD ATI 04:00.0 Renoir for the GPU. It is currently running Fedora 32 with the 5.7.8-200.fc32.x86_64 kernel with GNOME.

I had run Xubuntu on this before Fedora, with the 5.4 kernel. The problem is that instead of suspending, it instead froze up entirely and forced me to restart it. This happened in every case of suspension - from closing the lid to it becoming idle etc.

Reading online, it seemed that it was either the kernel (which gave other issues as well) or xscreensaver not supporting it. For the sake of me not having to spend time testing it out, which would it be? I plan on getting Fedora Xfce/MATE if possible but would they not work? Or would it be a kernel issue (which Fedora MATE would not have?)

#2 2020-10-15 11:48:11

s140680

Re: Will Xfce Support Suspending On My Device?

#3 2020-10-26 09:01:19

Signy

Re: Will Xfce Support Suspending On My Device?

It is probably not matter of Xfce but graphics drivers. Xubuntu is rather conservative distribution (not to mention LTS versions, which are even more conservative) so its support for newest hardware is not very good.
With new hardware is recommended to use some rolling distro (which adopts new kernel etc. very quickly).
Or you can try to use conservative distro and spend time updating kernel and graphics drivers (Mesa or proprietary) and searching good combination of both.
I am not an expert, I have just an experience with running Linux on AMD Ryzen 5 5400G (at that time one year old) and it took a lot of time searching for working combination of kernel and Mesa.

Board footer