Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-18 05:39:39

xaxazak

[SOLVED] Cannot enter symlink directories in Thunar.

Is Thunar able to handle symlink directories?

If so, why do I get the query "open <NAME> and other files of type "symbolic link" with:" when I try.
If I ask it to open in "File Manager" it simply refreshes the dialog.
I had this problem with my previous install also.

I'm currently associating links with PCManFM, which handles them correctly.

Thanks for all assistance.

Last edited by xaxazak (2020-02-21 22:41:32)

#2 2020-02-18 12:16:25

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot enter symlink directories in Thunar.

Go to Settings Manager > Mime Type Editor and in the filter box, enter "symlink".  You should see something like:

inode/symlink     Default     Open folder with Thunar

You can click on the last field and it will drop down some options like choose an app, reset to default, etc.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-02-18 22:25:50

xaxazak

The problem exists with the default MIME setting and also when associated with "File Manager" - I was using default before I set it to PCManFM.

What I'm after is for Thunar to treat a symlink to a directory as it would any other directory - show me its contents when I click on it, allow it as a branch of the side pane tree structure, etc. Nautilus, Dolphin, PCManFM can all handle directory symlinks as if they were regular directories (as can pretty much all linux programs). Is Thunar capable of this?

#4 2020-02-18 23:28:05

ToZ
Administrator

Thunar does all this for me by default.
thunar.png
"Tunes" is a symlink to /media/Data/Music and in the left pane, it shows it in directory format expanded.

What version of thunar are you running? Which version of Xfce and which distro?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2020-02-21 20:27:55

xaxazak

I fixed it by changing ownership.

The link itself had full user permissions, but was owned by root. I just changed the link's ownership to me and it can now browse happily.
I doubt that's how it's supposed to act, though. All other browsers and programs seem to have no concern for the owner.

Does your Thunar allow you to browse into a root-owned symlink?

Extra info:
- The link was a top-level directory ("/make").
- The target directory was always owned by me with full permissions, and was a top-level directory ("/media/<ME>/<UUID>/make") on a different HDD. Both on ext4.
- Xubuntu 19.10.
- Thunar 1.8.9 (default).
- XFCE 4.14 (default).

Last edited by xaxazak (2020-02-21 20:31:03)

#6 2020-02-21 23:33:57

ToZ
Administrator

I see. The same happens here. You should create a bug report so the developer can have a look.

#7 2020-02-22 02:21:37

xaxazak

ToZ wrote:

You should create a bug report so the developer can have a look.

Weird, now I can't replicate it, and I haven't upgraded or altered anything.
I guess it's something to do with symlinks themselves having owners but not permissions. Perhaps some value of target permissions caused it, but I can't figure out what it would be.

#8 2020-03-03 11:41:32

xaxazak

It seems ownership might not be the root of the problem as the issue reappears after a reboot. Changing the ownership to root and back again fixed it until another reboot. Further attempts to replicate this get some weirdly inconsistent results.

1. The problems (mostly?) seem to happen with links in the root "/" directory.
2. The symlink-folder icon in Thunar matches the browsing behavior - ie, if a folder is yellow it can be entered, if grey (with an X) it cannot, even by typing the path.
3. Once fixed, rebooting seems to make the problem reappear.
4. Sometimes, browsing into the directory is possible but the side-pane tree-view is broken and shows the wrong folder open (often the last folder).

Entering a working symlink sometimes converts grey-icon symlinks to the same target to yellow, but otherwise-similar symlinks to different targets remain grey.

If this persists in Focal Fossa, I will create a bug report stating inconsistent behavior. The latest Thunar builds are for Focal so I'll wait instead of adding a bug report for an older version.

Last edited by xaxazak (2020-03-03 12:07:28)

#9 2020-10-17 20:13:52

Plasticillin

(This post is marked as "solved", but wrongly so)

I had the same problem today.  I suppose the link is pointing to device not mounted when you log in.  That was the case here at least.  The link points to an encrypted device I mount occasionally when needed.

Pressing the <F5> key refreshes thunar and the link is displayed as a folder again.

Board footer