Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-21 07:36:45

AkantorDemon

(SOLVED) xubuntu 20.04.1 respin with cubic

Hi everyone, as the tittle says i am creating a respin with some modifications for personal use with cubic, removed applications added ones that i use, added new themes, icons and wallpapers and installed all updates.

Some might know that cubic lets you grab a iso, in my example xubuntu 20.04.1 and gives you a cli chroot environment to install/remove/update as a root user and if you are using the terminal in a real installed xubuntu.

This might not be the right forum to ask these but worth a try so here is my doubts.

1.How do i change default theme and icons settings?

2.How do i change settings so that compton is used instead of xfce default compositor?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this isn't the right forum to post this, feel free to delete this topic if so.

Last edited by AkantorDemon (2020-10-25 09:20:05)

#2 2020-10-21 14:23:13

ToZ
Administrator

Re: (SOLVED) xubuntu 20.04.1 respin with cubic

From a high level, you have, I think, 3 options here:

1. Xubuntu uses /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu for its default, new user settings. You can change the settings there and it will apply to all new users. However, if xubuntu ever updates the "xubuntu-default-settings" package then your changes will be lost

2. You could create your own default settings package (based on the default xubuntu one) and use that one instead in your respin.

3. You could take the contents of /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu (all files and folders) and copy them to /etc/skel/.config so that when a new account is created, it will copy over those config files to the new user account. This will bypass the /etc/xdg... settings.

As for which files to edit:
- /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml - there are 4 entries in this file that identify the default wallpaper, change to suit.
- /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml - the appearance and icon themes are identified here - change to suit
- /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfwm4.xml - the window manager theme is identified here. If using compton, you should also set "use_compositing" to false as default
- as for autostarting compton, you should copy /usr/share/applications/compton.desktop to either  /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/xfce4 or /etc/skel/.config/autostart (depending on your approach from above). Xubuntu already includes a default compton.conf file that you can edit to tweak the settings.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-10-25 09:19:34

AkantorDemon

Thank you for the help, that worked

#4 2020-12-04 07:46:16

FeelingShred

Cubic? Sounds interesting, didn't know about that one, I've been using JLiveCD to create my custom ISO's (works in Chroot as well, exactly like you mentioned, but there's a really nice PDF manual on the Github page that guides you step-by-step, really cool)

Now, since you have been through this process recently, do you ever recall at any point if there was a problem with Xfce not remembering your previous settings after a reboot or after a new login? This was not a problem for me in Xubuntu 16.04, but now using newer updated distros I'm having this problem.

Board footer