Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-27 17:43:09

davfor7

XFCE scaling not for all Windows and Apps

Hello all. I am pretty new to the Linux world but slowly learning. One thing I learned was I love XFCE DE the best. Always come back to it for its ease of use and customizing.
With that said, ran into my first problem I haven't been able to fix. Running Linux Mint XFCE on my Surface Pro 3 and loving it. But the screen resolution is pretty high, 2160x1440. So because of that, the desktop is so tiny. So I changed the scaling to 2x and actually does really good but there are still some issues. The Window Title and its icons (the minimize, maximize and close) as well as the font is not changed by the scaling. Also, some apps are not scaling as well. I use Synergy and the window for the app is still tiny, not scaled. So what am I doing wrong that not everything is scaled, universal like on GNOME and MATE? Also, I have seen some people change the resolution to 1440x968 (I think), basically 3:2 ratio. Is there a way to custom set the resolution so no scaling needed?

#2 2020-10-27 18:46:07

ToZ
Administrator

Re: XFCE scaling not for all Windows and Apps

Hello and welcome.

The Window Title and its icons (the minimize, maximize and close) as well as the font is not changed by the scaling.

The window manager is a separate component from the application and the two are not currently tied together with respect to scaling and xfwm4 (the window manager) doesn't support automatic scaling. However, if you go to Settings Manager > Window Manager, there are a few HiDPI themes that you can use that provide scaled assets. You can also find another or create your own window manager theme to suit your needs.

Also, some apps are not scaling as well. I use Synergy and the window for the app is still tiny, not scaled.

I'm not familiar with synergy, however, note the Xfce's scaling only applies to GTK3 applications. If synergy is a GTK2 or QT app, you will need some further configuration specific to those toolkits (note that GTK2 does not support scaling).

Also, I have seen some people change the resolution to 1440x968 (I think), basically 3:2 ratio. Is there a way to custom set the resolution so no scaling needed?

Possibly, but this would need to be done at the X Windows level, not within Xfce. Here is an interesting looking snap that assists with creating custom resolutions.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer