Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-13 18:30:41

Mellowbob

Default something missing

I've found lately that some applications which I **THINK** are expecting a web broswer are getting a terminal instead. One example is Calibre which, when there is an update available, opens a terminal when clicking update. Just now I hit <help> in the xfce4 settings panel and got a terminal. So, what is missing?

#2 2020-08-14 11:27:37

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Default something missing

Go to the Mime Settings Editor (xfce4-mime-settings) and search for "html" and see what applications are set as default. You can change them there as well to a web browser.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-08-14 16:11:15

Mellowbob

I just checked the MIME Type Editor and narrowed to HTML. I have a number of listings there and they are all set to "Firefox Web Browser" with the exception of vnd.ms-htmlhelp which was set to "hh" and I've changed that to "Atril Document Viewer". I also have x-khtml-adaptor which is set to "Default". Even though that looks right I don't know if "Firefox Web Browser" actually points to the right application (/usr/bin/firefox) and I'm not sure about the "Default" setting for khtml either.

This has been working fine for years ... I think the upgrade to ubuntu 20.04 created the problem.

#4 2020-08-14 19:09:22

alcornoqui

Does the MIME Type Editor settings match the ones in /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache ?

#5 2020-08-14 20:36:58

Mellowbob

The 2 don't seem to have much in common smile

bob$ cat /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache | grep -i html
application/xhtml+xml=brave-browser.desktop;calibre-ebook-edit.desktop;calibre-ebook-viewer.desktop;calibre-gui.desktop;firefox.desktop;
application/xhtml_xml=brave-browser.desktop;google-chrome.desktop;opera.desktop;
text/html=brave-browser.desktop;calibre-ebook-edit.desktop;calibre-ebook-viewer.desktop;calibre-gui.desktop;firefox.desktop;google-chrome.desktop;opera.desktop;

BTW, what is the search path for .desktop files?

#6 2020-11-02 02:43:16

Mellowbob

I'm pinging this message since I still can't get this work under XFCE on my box. For example, if I get a message from Calibre saying that a new version is available and I click that I just get a terminal window opening. Under KDE-Plasma and Mate desktops it correctly opens the browser or a new tab in the browser.

#7 2020-11-25 01:30:45

Mellowbob

Well, well, well ... I finally figured it out.

The problem was that in Settings->Preferred-applications->Utilities the File Manager was set to xfce4-terminal. Changed it to nemo (one could set it to thunar if you use that) and all works great now!

Board footer