Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-17 02:14:43

jcw

One Row Tasklist

I've been trying to get the tasklist to produce only one row.

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=11013 seems similar, but the style max-button-size is not a valid property name now that were using gtk3.

What do I need to add to gtk.css to get the tasklist to use a single row of taller buttons equal tot he icon size of the launcher icons (64px in my case)? Or perhaps there is another way to tweak this UI element.

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells

#2 2020-11-17 02:56:59

ToZ
Administrator

Re: One Row Tasklist

Hello and welcome.

jcw wrote:

I've been trying to get the tasklist to produce only one row.

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=11013 seems similar, but the style max-button-size is not a valid property name now that were using gtk3.

What do I need to add to gtk.css to get the tasklist to use a single row of taller buttons equal tot he icon size of the launcher icons (64px in my case)? Or perhaps there is another way to tweak this UI element.

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells

Try:

.tasklist { -XfceTasklist-max-button-size: 64; }

...in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css.

You'll need to restart the panel to see the effect.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-11-17 03:20:01

jcw

That behaved as expected.  Grazi!

Where does one find the documentation for the "-XfceTasklist-" pre-pended style names?

I actually looked in the source and found where max-button-size is used. Based on the GTK2 comments and the source I thought the GTK3 CSS would follow the same pattern.

Regards,
Jason

#4 2020-11-17 03:42:17

ToZ
Administrator

The documentation isn't yet complete (https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/tasklist). I've just been converting the old GTK2 stylings (XfceTasklist::max-button-size = 64) to their GTK3 counterparts (-XfceTasklist-max-button-size: 64). Note that there is a slight conversion difference in the syntax. This applies to other properties as well for the other components of Xfce. Assuming the code itself hasn't changed in the migration to GTK3, they should still work.

Unfortunately, the GTK3 inspector doesn't show these so its a matter of reading the code and experimenting,

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2020-11-17 03:46:26

jcw

OK. That gives me something to work with as I tweak a few little items that aren't exposed to a configuration dialog.

FWIW, I am coming back to xfce after a long hiatus. I am very pleased to discover that xfce has maintained it's very sensible approach to the desktop.

Regards,
Jason C. Wells

Board footer