Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-18 21:40:31

hrqmonteiro

[Thunar] How to customize Thunar classes on gtk3 theme?

Hi, i am trying to setup some tweaks in my theme relating to Thunar, but how can i find the css classes that are into it?

I've saw through some posts here in the forum and some people who customized their thunar and i discovered some classes, like:

.thunar .standard-view .view
.thunar .sidebar
.thunar status bar

But how can i "discover" the rest of it so i know what am i editing? I tried the GTK Selector (https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Proj … /Inspector), but it really doesn't help in ANYTHING, be it in Thunar or another gkt application.

Anyone can help me please?

#2 2020-11-18 22:58:11

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Thunar] How to customize Thunar classes on gtk3 theme?

Hello and welcome.

Try the following:

thunar -q
GTK_DEBUG=interactive thunar

...click on the crosshairs in the top-left corner of the inspector window and then on the thunar window and you should see something like (you might need to select "CSS Nodes" from the dropdown):
EoCZ0s7l.png

The widgets are listed in the "Name" column and the classes in the "Style Classes" column.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-11-19 00:10:54

hrqmonteiro

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Try the following:

thunar -q
GTK_DEBUG=interactive thunar

...click on the crosshairs in the top-left corner of the inspector window and then on the thunar window and you should see something like (you might need to select "CSS Nodes" from the dropdown):
https://imgur.com/EoCZ0s7l.png

The widgets are listed in the "Name" column and the classes in the "Style Classes" column.

Hello,

This is actually what i have said. I tried it with the selector, but the "classes" don't match at all with the ones from Thunar. And if you try to change it, it doesn't do any changes.

For example, i have on my gtk3 theme, this css lines:

AiHXo8e.png

And this IS changing my thunar, but these classes, like "sidebar" doesnt appear at all at the Inspector. So it doesn't helps, at all.

#4 2020-11-19 01:46:00

ToZ
Administrator

hrqmonteiro wrote:

but these classes, like "sidebar" doesnt appear at all at the Inspector. So it doesn't helps, at all.

If you look at the first "scrolledwindow" entry in my screenshot, you'll notice that there are 3 classes defined: frame, shortcuts-pane, and sidebar.

What version of Thunar and what version of gtk3 are you running?

Here is what your first sidebar config looks like on my system:
xUMOyVol.png

And all of your sidebar configs:
tVAJT4hl.png

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2020-11-19 03:06:52

hrqmonteiro

ToZ wrote:
hrqmonteiro wrote:

but these classes, like "sidebar" doesnt appear at all at the Inspector. So it doesn't helps, at all.

If you look at the first "scrolledwindow" entry in my screenshot, you'll notice that there are 3 classes defined: frame, shortcuts-pane, and sidebar.

What version of Thunar and what version of gtk3 are you running?

Here is what your first sidebar config looks like on my system:
https://imgur.com/xUMOyVol.png

And all of your sidebar configs:
https://imgur.com/tVAJT4hl.png

Well, sorry for my stupidity lol, i could see now. Unfortunately, i knew the names of these classes already, i was hoping there would be any more of them so i could customize the sidebar more.

Since you apparently know more, could you help me, possibly?

I wanted to change only the color of the "Devices" and the "Places" text. But i wasn't able to. I tried tweaking everything, using "!important", but i couldn't. Any help?

#6 2020-11-19 03:47:25

ToZ
Administrator

I don't see a way that this is possible. There is no class assigned those "headers" and I don't see a way the CSS can be targeted directly to a specific treeview row.

#7 2020-11-19 03:50:22

hrqmonteiro

ToZ wrote:

I don't see a way that this is possible. There is no class assigned those "headers" and I don't see a way the CSS can be targeted directly to a specific treeview row.

I see.
And correct me if i'm wrong, but as i tested and as far as i'm concerned, the pseudo elements or classes like ":nth-child", ":after" and ":before" don't seem to work with gtk3, right? That would be nice if worked..

#8 2020-11-19 11:54:33

ToZ
Administrator

Yeah, you would think it work. But I can't seem to figure out how. You could try asking the developers at the #xfce-dev IRC channel or through the xfce4-dev mailing list.

#9 2020-11-19 13:31:03

hrqmonteiro

ToZ wrote:

Yeah, you would think it work. But I can't seem to figure out how. You could try asking the developers at the #xfce-dev IRC channel or through the xfce4-dev mailing list.

Oh, thanks, i will try that.

Board footer