Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-15 17:44:35

peter.48

Action Buttons missing icons

I don't know how in other distributions, but in Fedora XFCE since some time been problems with the Action Buttons icons. Seems like different icons are from different themes. In 4.12 (Fedora 27 to 30) regardless of the chosen theme icons were from Adwaita except in HighContrast. By choosing HighContrast some icons were from this theme and others from Adwaita. Now in Fedora 31 (XFCE 4.14) the icons that were lost at HighContrast are always lost. I would like to know in which file we can look which is the theoretical path for certain icons (reboot, suspend, hibernate) and know which would be their names.

1584297290.png
1584297361.png

Thank you in advance
P.

#2 2020-03-15 18:35:32

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Action Buttons missing icons

peter.48 wrote:

I would like to know in which file we can look which is the theoretical path for certain icons (reboot, suspend, hibernate) and know which would be their names.

Have at look at this array. The second from last parameter for each entry is the icon name.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-03-17 11:39:27

peter.48

After several tests and experiments I have come to:

To see reboot icon you have to:
1.put icon in /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/scalable/actions/system-reboot-symbolic.svg (is for Adwaita, Gnome, HighContrast themes)
2.put icon in /usr/share/icons/Mist/scalable/actions/system-reboot.svg (is for Crux, Fedora and Mist themes)

In case of installing something that needs Breeze icon theme (in my case it was Okular), reboot icon disappears again. To see it you have to: 

1.disable reboot in Action Buttons properties
2.choose in Appearance  Breeze or Breeze-dark icon theme
3.activate reboot in Action Buttons properties
4.change to the theme of icons we want

If we deactivate reboot in Action Buttons and we activate it again the icon disappears, to see it we have to go back to point one. Activating or deactivating other functions without icons, reboot icon also disappears. In case of Adwaita, Gnome, HighContrast themes after switching off and on pc, we are again without reboot icon. For Crux, Mist and Fedora themes the reboot icon does not disappear.

It's not a problem with Fedora either, I have tried with Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE and there is exactly the same problem.

Resuming:
1.missing icons Suspend, Hibernate, Restart (not even neutral icon)
2.Hybrid Sleep icon neutral (spanish translation error included),
3.Hibernation and Hybrid Sleep functions are not active (grayed out)
4.End Session (Log Out...) and Close Session (Log Out) have the same icon, what's the difference?!
5.in HighContrast icons theme, Restart icon that appears is from Adwaita
6.in all other icon themes except Breeze and Breeze Dark Action Buttons icons are from Adwaita

This is always Fedora and its default icon themes (Adwaita, Crux, Fedora, Gnome, HighContrast, Mist), I haven't tried to install any other theme and I haven't tested this in other distributions.

As I wrote in the CSD thread, it wouldn't be bad if developers would first fix things like that and then come up with new (and debatable) ideas wink tongue.

Regards
Peter

Last edited by peter.48 (2020-03-17 11:41:21)

#4 2020-10-17 08:09:53

sebastian

I have the same issue with the "Action Buttons" under Arch Linux. The icons of "Suspend", "Hibernate", and "Restart" are not shown.
The icons of Suspend, Hibernate, and Restart are not shown.

#5 2020-10-17 09:54:37

vinox14

just use another icon theme

#6 2020-10-17 16:47:51

peter.48

vinox14 wrote:

just use another icon theme

First read well, and then answer or comment, so that you avoid making a fool of yourself. It happens with all the themes that are by default. Not to mention that this is not the solution to the problem but simple masking (assuming that with another theme the same thing would not happen).
In your house you are sweeping the rubbish under the carpet and you consider that you have cleaned? tongue

Last edited by peter.48 (2020-10-17 16:49:12)

#7 2020-10-17 17:44:53

ToZ
Administrator

You need to make sure that your icon theme has proper icons for missing elements:
- system-suspend
- system-hibernate
- system-restart

The default Adwaita icon theme does not include these. Perhaps other icon themes as well.

It is odd though that it's not at least displaying the "missing icon" icon. There is an existing issue report to update these icons though.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#8 2020-10-17 18:26:55

sebastian

Thank you vinox14 for your reply.
This works ... kind of. wink

I did as follows ...

1. opened the Properties window of Action Buttons

2. opened Appearance window from Settings menu

3. changed to another (more complete) icon theme (eg Faenza, Moka, Papirus or bloom)

4. set one Visible checkmark in the Properties window of Action Buttons

Afterwards it seems that the cache for Action Buttons gets regenerated and the newly available icons show up.

It nonetheless seems to have some issues with the GNOME icon theme.
After the change from a complete icon theme back to GNOME, the Action Buttons show as follows:
Screenshot-2020-10-17-15-07-08-before-logout.png
It seems the GNOME icon theme has no icons for Suspend, Hibernate and Hybrid Sleep, but it has an icon for Restart.

After logout and login again the Action Buttons look like this:
Screenshot-2020-10-17-15-12-23-after-relogin.png
So the not available icon symbol for Suspend and Hibernate are gone but stay for Hybrid Sleep. The Restart icon has disappeared in spite of being available.

I also updated my GNOME icon cache:

$ sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f -t /usr/share/icons/gnome
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.

But this had no impact on the icon issue.

The funny thing is, if I click on the Log Out... button, all missing icons (for Suspend, Hibernate and Hybrid Sleep) are also shown wink:
Screenshot-2020-10-17-19-42-21-log-out.png

#9 2020-10-17 19:29:37

ToZ
Administrator

I mistyped the reboot icon name - it should be "system-reboot" not restart.

Anyways, with the gnome icon theme, the following works (assuming a panel size around 26).

sudo ln -s /usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/actions/tab-new.png /usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/actions/system-suspend.png
sudo gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/gnome

...and then restart xfce4-panel:

xfce4-panel -r

The tab-new icon will now show up as the suspend icon. Naturally, you'll need to select/use the icons that you want.

So the correct set of missing icons are:
- system-suspend
- system-hibernate
- system-reboot

#10 2020-10-18 19:59:15

sebastian

Thank you ToZ.

I played a bit with the icons. The following icons seem to be used for Action Buttons:

• Action: Lock Screen
    Icon Name: system-lock-screen
    Example: /usr/share/icons/[icon_theme]/[size]/actions/system-lock-screen.svg

• Action: Switch User
    Icon Name: system-users
    Example: /usr/share/icons/[icon_theme]/[size]/actions/system-users.svg

• Action: Suspend
    Icon Name: system-suspend
    Example: /usr/share/icons/[icon_theme]/[size]/actions/system-suspend.svg

• Action: Hibernate
    Icon Name: system-hibernate
    Example: /usr/share/icons/[icon_theme]/[size]/actions/system-hibernate.svg

• Action: Hybrid Sleep
    Icon Name: system-suspend-hibernate
    Example: /usr/share/icons/[icon_theme]/[size]/actions/system-suspend-hibernate.svg

• Action: Shut Down
    Icon Name: system-shutdown
    Example: /usr/share/icons/[icon_theme]/[size]/actions/system-shutdown.svg

• Action: Restart
    Icon Name: system-reboot
    Example: /usr/share/icons/[icon_theme]/[size]/actions/system-reboot.svg

• Action: Log Out
    Icon Name: system-log-out
    Example: /usr/share/icons/[icon_theme]/[size]/actions/system-log-out.svg

[icon_theme] has to be replaced by the used icon theme.
[size] has to be replaced by the used icon size.

But I don't wanted to mess with my system icon files - and I don't had to wink.

It's possible to place icons in the home directory and let the system use that:
I ...

1. ... downloaded the Open Icon Library.
    (As this library contains a lot of icons smile.)

2. ... generated the following directory:

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/icons/gnome/24x24/actions

(As at the moment I use the GNOME icon theme and in the current setting my Panel is set to a Row size of 28 pixel an uses the icon size of 24x24 pixel.)

3. ... placed the corresponding icons in this directory.
    (For me the icons were system-hibernate.png, system-reboot.png, system-suspend.png and system-suspend-hibernate.png as this icons were not available in the GNOME icon theme.)

4. ... issued:

gtk-update-icon-cache -f -t ~/.local/share/icons/gnome
  5. ... changed one Visible checkmark at the Action Buttons Properties, so that the Display on the screen got updated.

Now my Action Buttons look as follows:
Screenshot-2020-10-18-21-43-21-gnome-mod.png

Nonetheless I would find it more appealing if Action Buttons would behave more like the Log Out... window. Meaning that if in the current icon theme no corresponding icon is available for a specific Action, a fallback icon would be displayed (instead of a blank icon).

Last edited by sebastian (2020-10-18 20:06:26)

#11 2020-11-30 18:59:40

Digger
Website

FYI, Sebastian's 2020-10-18 12:59:15 post worked for Debian Jessie (Xfce4 panel version 4.10.1)

Appreciate it!

Xfce 4.6.2; Debian Squeeze

Board footer