Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-08 18:18:20

cy

[SOLVED] Thunar: wrong HOME icon in side pane

Hi all, hope you're well!

I am using the wonderful Yaru icon theme, and all of them showing up – except that one for my $HOME folder in the side pane, where it shows the same (outlined) icon as in the tool bar.

I've noticed this issue before with other themes as well, while e.g. with the file manager pcmanfm there's no such problem. Any ideas?

Last edited by cy (2020-12-09 11:43:30)

#2 2020-12-08 22:41:50

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Thunar: wrong HOME icon in side pane

Thunar uses the "go-home" icon for the home folder and Yaru doesn't have one. You can work around it in the following manner:

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/icons/Yaru/16x16/places
ln -s /usr/share/icons/Yaru/16x16/places/user-home.png ~/.local/share/icons/Yaru/16x16/places/go-home.png"
sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/Yaru

This basically links the go-home icon to the user-home icon and once the cache is updated, thunar will start to use it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-12-09 11:42:38

cy

Thanks – worked instantly; will mark this as solved! ^^

Besides, is there a way to change the icons in the navigation bar?

#4 2020-12-09 13:05:26

ToZ
Administrator

cy wrote:

Besides, is there a way to change the icons in the navigation bar?

Option #1 - use another icon theme
If there are navigation icons from another theme that you would like to use, put the following in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

.thunar #back image,
.thunar #forward image,
.thunar #open-parent image,
.thunar #open-home image { -gtk-icon-theme: 'Adwaita; }

...and change "Adwaita" to your desired icon theme name.

Option #2 - overwrite theme icons
Similar to the process above, the icons being used are in the Yaru/scalabale/actions folder. Specifically, they are:
- go-previous-symbolic.svg
- go-next-symbolic.svg
- go-up-symbolic.svg
- go-home-symbolic.svg
Create the folder to contain the icons:

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/icons/Yaru/scalable/actions

...and copy in the icons that you want to use with those names (need to be in svg format). Then refresh the cache:

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/Yaru

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2020-12-09 19:02:56

cy

Awesome! – Anyway, I found out, the button icons are already part of Yaru, namely the "symbolic" variant. I then simply adjusted their colors for better contrast.

Another issue solved; maybe I should edit the thread's title...

However, how would I then be able to change stuff like the color of hidden files and folders?

And where and how to generally get Thunar's CSS properties? – I just found the GtkInspector. Sure I can start Thunar with it by spawning "GTK_DEBUG=interactive thunar &", but I still don't know how this would be of use for identifiying any relevant CSS snippets to manipulate them (for example to match Thunar's looks a bit better with [a few] corresponding elements of my GTK3 theme). Something like hovering Thunar and telling me which element I am currently on would be cool, such as a graphical web browser's DOM inspector.

#6 2020-12-09 23:35:37

ToZ
Administrator

cy wrote:

However, how would I then be able to change stuff like the color of hidden files and folders?

Are you referring to the translucent overlay that is added to a cut or hidden file/folder? If so, it looks like its hard coded.

And where and how to generally get Thunar's CSS properties? – I just found the GtkInspector. Sure I can start Thunar with it by spawning "GTK_DEBUG=interactive thunar &", but I still don't know how this would be of use for identifiying any relevant CSS snippets to manipulate them (for example to match Thunar's looks a bit better with [a few] corresponding elements of my GTK3 theme). Something like hovering Thunar and telling me which element I am currently on would be cool, such as a graphical web browser's DOM inspector.

Unfortunately that tool, and reading the thunar source code, is all that you have. It would be really nice if the hover tool existed, but I am unaware of one.

#7 2020-12-10 11:48:10

cy

Thanks again!

OK then, I didn't mean to hijack my own thread, so I'm going to open a new one.

Board footer