Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-06 05:42:33

frmald

Add another hotkey for task cycling?

I like to keep ALT-Tab for cycling between tasks on the current workspace. I'd like to add an additional keyboard shortcut (say Super+Tab) for cycling between running apps on *all* workspaces.

Is this possible? I don't see an XFCE app for calling the task switcher, it seems it's just a WM built-in action.

#2 2021-01-06 12:19:02

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Add another hotkey for task cycling?

That's not currently possible, not without an enhancement to the code.

As an optional workaround, there is a toggle in the Window Manager Tweaks > Cycling tab that switches between cycling on the current workspace and cycling on all workspaces. What if your other keyboard shortcut toggled that setting and then you used Alt-Tab for both? You can toggle that setting via:

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/cycle_workspaces -T

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-01-07 00:53:56

frmald

OK, I suspected as much; thanks for the workaround -- good idea.

I've thought about the hotkey starting a panel plugin (Windows Buttons) outside of the actual panel, or in a temporary panel, but I don't see how that would work.

#4 2021-01-07 01:21:02

ToZ
Administrator

frmald wrote:

I've thought about the hotkey starting a panel plugin (Windows Buttons) outside of the actual panel, or in a temporary panel, but I don't see how that would work.

The closest you could get would be a panel (pre-created with a windows button plugin) that always hides and a shortcut key that changes it from always hide to always visible, and back.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2021-01-09 07:55:49

frmald

Thanks again, ToZ. Is there something like the "old" windows Alt-Esc (switch between tasks directly)?

#6 2021-01-09 13:32:15

ToZ
Administrator

frmald wrote:

Thanks again, ToZ. Is there something like the "old" windows Alt-Esc (switch between tasks directly)?

I don't recall how this worked on Windows. Can you explain exactly what happens when you press Alt+Esc (don't have a windows computer on hand right now).

Board footer