Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-06 10:08:53

BFG

Thunar - Fast switch between side pane Tree and Shortcuts?

I use a NAS with multiple shares for data, and almost nothing is stored on client machines.
The shares are organised with a reasonable taxonomy.

So I find myself swithcing frequently between side pane options of Tree and Shortcuts, depending on the task in hand.
If I'm working between shares, the shortcuts view is best. If I'm using or re-organising files within a share, the tree view is much more powerful.

(The one thing that stops me from just using tree view all the time, is that it never shows the share mounts in alphabetical order, the order is different and random on every boot - and it makes me twitch)

So I flip between the two several times a day.

Is it possible to have a button in the toolbar that will switch the view with a single click? Or least favourable - is there a keyboard shortcut?
Thanks smile

Last edited by BFG (2018-09-06 10:16:41)

#2 2018-09-06 10:17:51

BFG

Re: Thunar - Fast switch between side pane Tree and Shortcuts?

Oh and a follow-on question, if I'm using a file chooser, say from a chrome download - Thunar always comes up in shortcut mode, is it possible to change that also?

#3 2018-09-06 10:35:35

ToZ
Administrator

BFG wrote:

Is it possible to have a button in the toolbar that will switch the view with a single click? Or least favourable - is there a keyboard shortcut?
Thanks smile

Button no, shortcut yes. By default, Ctrl+B for shortcuts mode, Ctrl+E for Tree (in fact they are also toggles on whether to display the sidebar or not).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2018-09-06 10:47:22

ToZ
Administrator

BFG wrote:

Oh and a follow-on question, if I'm using a file chooser, say from a chrome download - Thunar always comes up in shortcut mode, is it possible to change that also?

Do you mean when you select the "Show in folder" option in Chrome? For me it uses the current Thunar setting.

What version of Thunar are you using?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2019-09-04 08:52:16

batyanko

Sorry for bringing this up again, but I still don't seem to find a solution for this.

My question is - how can I navigate *keyboard only* between the left (tree view?) pane the right (file view?) pane?
It looks that `tab` works, but quite inconsistently. It seems switch between all other sections of the window, gets stuck in some of them plus they don't get highlighted, so you have no idea where you are.

I have a bonus question too smile How do you set the default "Save file" / "Open File" handler in xfce? That is, the interface that handles Save as... / Open... dialogs in browsers and similar?

#6 2019-09-04 10:10:34

alcornoqui

batyanko wrote:

Sorry for bringing this up again, but I still don't seem to find a solution for this.

My question is - how can I navigate *keyboard only* between the left (tree view?) pane the right (file view?) pane?
It looks that `tab` works, but quite inconsistently. It seems switch between all other sections of the window, gets stuck in some of them plus they don't get highlighted, so you have no idea where you are.

Don't be sorry, thanks for clarifying. It's a good question and I had to check.

You're right that the highlight is too subtle, it's very easy to miss it, but it exists.

Tab cycles between the Files List > the Navigation Bar (initially focused in the "parent directory" button) > and the Side Pane.

but

The cycle gets reset any time you enter a different directory from the navigation bar

so

From the File List, two tabs should take you to the tree or shortcuts side panel, where you would move to your desired dir with the arrows, then:

In the tree view, tab to move to the File List, double tab to return to the tree.

In the shortcuts view it's the same for the PLACES list, but strangely, not for the DEVICES or NETWORK, where you move to the files list with the right arrow (and again, double tab to return to the side pane).

It's a bit confusing, specially with the too subtle visual cues.

batyanko wrote:

I have a bonus question too smile How do you set the default "Save file" / "Open File" handler in xfce? That is, the interface that handles Save as... / Open... dialogs in browsers and similar?

Start a different thread for such a different question, but beware, file choosers are a known rabbit hole:

https://old.reddit.com/r/linux/comments … le_picker/

https://github.com/KDE/xdg-desktop-portal-kde

#7 2021-01-07 21:45:32

jesus2099

Hello,
I have some complementary questions about those 2 kinds of Side Pane (Panneau latéral):

Shortcuts (Raccourcis, Ctrl+B)

It's great that you can toggle items.
But how do you order them the way you like?
They are neither in alphabetical order nor in the order of declarations in /etc/fstab.

Tree (Arborescence, Ctrl+E)

I need this one because the other does not show your position in the tree.
But the root items (mounts) are displayed in complete random order.
How to fix that?

The ideal would be nice grouping like Shortcuts, but with Tree following your position, and with a correct order of the root items (grouped like in Shortcuts, then alphabetical inside groups).

Last edited by jesus2099 (2021-01-07 22:18:37)

Board footer