Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-11 18:38:26

lazygeek

xfdesktop 4.16: "Open in New Window" menu option?

Hey there,

I've been using XFCE on linux for decades (well as old as XFCE can be), and over the years I have "developed" a very weird habit:
Each time I want to open a new thunar (file manager) window, I do a right-click on the desktop, and I quickly choose the first option from the menu:
Open in New Window.

This would let me open a new Thunar window very quickly.

Now when I do this, it opens a window to create a new launcher.
Because YES, now the very first menu option on top (from the right-click menu) is "Create Launcher", not "Open in New Window".
"Open in New Window" has now moved down the list.

Is there any way to have this "Open in New Window" menu option back on top of the list, as it was before?

EDIT: Looking at the changes for XFCE 4.16, I found this (xfdesktop):
https://www.xfce.org/download/changelogs/4.16

Move 'Open in New Window' of root window context menu (#59)

Last edited by lazygeek (2021-01-11 18:41:03)

#2 2021-01-11 21:48:30

codenamepicnic

Re: xfdesktop 4.16: "Open in New Window" menu option?

I don't think the developers will revert this only for your usecase. Maybe use a keyboard shortcut to open Thunar?, it's quicker

I use Super + E (same as Windows)

#3 2021-01-12 00:39:41

CwF

lazygeek wrote:

I do a right-click on the desktop,

Exactly. I find it to be a strange change.

Without a preferred Directory Menu or two set up I automatically revert to the right click access. So playing in fresh installs lately led me to hit that new launcher a dozen times... That's two strange changes in the right click layout. The other being the missing edit launcher I rarely use. So again, on something fresh I need it and end up starting the program...argh.

#4 2021-01-12 03:09:19

lazygeek

codenamepicnic wrote:

I don't think the developers will revert this only for your usecase.

You are darn right!  And I wasn't expecting that.   As I said, it's just a weird behavior I have developed over the years...
But now it's part of my daily habits!  It's hard to get rid of that  wink

So this "problem" isn't of the most importance anyway.  My linux box is still in good shape, no problem there  wink

I was just wondering if some linux geek would tell me a little trick to get this "Open in New Window" menu option right at the top, perhpaps by editing an XML file somewhere on some obscure location...

Anyway, I'll probably do like you just said:
Bind Thunar to some keyboard shortcut for quick access (WIN-E) is a very good idea!
And I'll probably "bind it" to my mouse as well  (it's got 16 buttons, many of them aren't used!)

Thanks... 
(will keep monitoring this thread, just in case someone comes up with a workaround)

Last edited by lazygeek (2021-01-12 04:09:07)

#5 2021-01-13 09:39:11

peter.48

It may be silly, but why not do just a custom action with the command: "/usr/bin/thunar %f", or something similar.
It will not be in first position, but at least it will be in the right click menu...

PS.Curiosity: why do you consider the habit of open thunar your way weird? is there an article in any constitution or international treaty that says this is wrong?

Last edited by peter.48 (2021-01-13 11:19:11)

#6 2021-01-14 03:22:38

lazygeek

peter.48 wrote:

It may be silly, but why not do just a custom action with the command: "/usr/bin/thunar %f", or something similar.
It will not be in first position, but at least it will be in the right click menu...

PS.Curiosity: why do you consider the habit of open thunar your way weird? is there an article in any constitution or international treaty that says this is wrong?

it's already in the right click menu, it's just that it's been "pushed" down the list...
I really liked doing a quick right-click on the desktop, and "almost blindly" choosing the first menu element (which was "Open in New Window").

It's "weird" in my own view because I have developed this habit by myself over the years, thinking I was "the only one" to open Thunar this way.  Maybe I'm not the only one, finally  wink

I don't know if it's in the US Constitution or not, perhaps I shall read it first... haha

#7 2021-01-15 21:09:32

peter.48

lazygeek wrote:

it's already in the right click menu, it's just that it's been "pushed" down the list...

I apologize, I didn't read the first post with attention, in my head was that the option has disappeared... roll

#8 2021-01-16 17:32:22

denyer
Website

codenamepicnic wrote:

I use Super + E (same as Windows)

Ditto. The common ones like D, E, L, etc are worth binding to equivalent actions if you switch machines a lot.

Board footer