Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-14 14:14:20

Casper Pesky

Auto Shutdown

Hello

I have installed a fresh MXLinux and am trying to create a closed machine for residents of a homeless hostel to access online government services to register for benefits etc.

I have successfully created a silent startup into fullscreen firefox, intending this to be the only app they use, rather as a thin client.

Has anyone had a go at a script which could spot firefox exit, and trigger an immediate shutdown? Is this possible and how would it run?

I realize that this would not prevent access to the desktop by minimizing firefox, but it would stop many attempts at fiddling with the system.

Cheers.

#2 2021-01-14 17:15:47

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Auto Shutdown

Hello and welcome.

Casper Pesky wrote:

I have successfully created a silent startup into fullscreen firefox, intending this to be the only app they use, rather as a thin client.

I was thinking, why not just start firefox directly from xinit? See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xi … ow_manager.

However, firefox doesn't appear to have as extensive kiosk capability as chromium does. This answer and the included command works well using the chromium browser.

There's no real way to get at the system to fiddle with it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-01-14 17:30:58

Casper Pesky

Re: Auto Shutdown

Thanks, I'll have a go at xinit.

Also I'll have a look at Chrome.

Board footer