Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-17 22:06:52

Mellowbob

Change file browser default actions

I'm running nemo, but just discovered that thunar has the same problem on my system.

Selecting a file and then changing its properties to use a different application to open it does not allow me to change the default. For example (this is in nemo, but results were about the same in thunar)

- Select a mp3 audio file
   - Right click
   - the menu shows "open with EasyTag" as the first option
   - If I hit the 2nd options, "Open With" I can select a different application. No problem
   - Selecting Properties->Open With gives a number of different apps. I pick "vlc" and then "Make Default", but that damned EasyTag remains as the default.

So, what's going on? I've checked my install and I don't see any read-only config files. Anything else?

#2 2021-01-18 18:32:23

CwF

Re: Change file browser default actions

I thought it was last used. I did see easytag take over associations in a weird way and didn't like it. It is still on one system and is third on the list now and has not reclaimed default. But on that system I did recently add some manual associations and some custom desktop files in that category, so something fixed the default hogging easytag. Doesn't the mime-type editor (xfce4-mime-settings) take care of it?

#3 2021-01-18 20:41:00

Mellowbob

I'm wondering if there is more than one mime-list on my system? Using xfce4-mime-settings will change a number ... but it doesn't contain an entry for "mp3".

#4 2021-01-18 23:04:18

CwF

True, it seems
Look at audio/mpeg
...notice it says MP3 Audio in the bottom bar.
Mine is set to user set.

Board footer