Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-16 12:38:58

otyugh

xfconf : a good way to set a defaullt configuration ?

Hey,
I wonder, what'd be the "good way" to set "all futur users" the same defaults in xfce's settings.

Add xfconf-query snippets to adduser.sh ? Harcode some .config/xfce4/xfconf in skel ? Another better way ?

Last edited by otyugh (2020-04-16 12:39:31)

#2 2020-04-16 14:29:00

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfconf : a good way to set a defaullt configuration ?

A few of the distros use /etc/skel. Xubuntu creates a new /etc/xdg layout (/etc/xdg-xubuntu). Or you can directly edit the files in /etc/xdg (keep in mind that they may get overwritten with an Xfce update).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-02-12 09:09:22

JacquesOlivier

Hi there,

I think i am trying to do also

otyugh wrote:

"The good way"

I am working on autoinstallation of xubuntu 20.04.02 in a university, with hundreds of computers for the students.
I want to tweak some parameters, for example i don't want them to be able to lock screen.

I am trying this method actually :

1. Log for the first time as a regular user

2. Make all changes with xfce4-settings-editor

3. Copy the usr's xml files from ~/.config/xfce4/panel to /etc/xdg/xfce4/panel

But when i log on with another user, changes are not applied, maybe i did something wrong ? yikes
Is there a way to use xfce4-settings-editor to make changes directly in the /etc/xdg/xfce4 files ?

And finally, is it possible to prevent users from changing these settings?

#4 2021-02-12 15:12:53

ToZ
Administrator

JacquesOlivier wrote:

But when i log on with another user, changes are not applied, maybe i did something wrong ? yikes
Is there a way to use xfce4-settings-editor to make changes directly in the /etc/xdg/xfce4 files ?

Note that if you are using the xubuntu session when you log in, it will use the configuration files from /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu. Also, it will only use that for new users, existing users will already have had the default settings copied over to their ~/.config directory and you'll need to edit them there.

And finally, is it possible to prevent users from changing these settings?

Xfce does have a kiosk feature. See: https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/kiosk_mode. It really hasn't been worked on for the last few cycles so it might be hit and miss. Search the forums for "kiosk" - there are a few members who have posted working scenarios.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2021-02-22 06:12:44

xfceforumorg1220

For existing users, could you use xfconf-query.

Just an example:

xfconf-query --channel xfce4-session \
  --property /sessions/Failsafe/Client3_Command \
  --type string --set Thunar \
  --type string --set '--daemon' \
  --force-array

Manjaro also uses /etc/skel/. These config files get used for a new user. The users $HOME/.config/ override /etc/xdg/. When you use the Settings Editor it merges the two. On Manjaro, the default skel location is defined in /etc/default/useradd. See man useradd or similar.

Last edited by xfceforumorg1220 (2021-02-22 06:13:18)

Board footer