Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-15 08:18:43

Moat

Possible panel v4.16.1 "Background image" Appearance bug...?

This is on the latest Manjaro 20.2.1 "Nibia", after a recent system update that bumped Xfce up to version 14.16.0;

When using an image for the panel background (instead of the theme's style or solid color, as selected from the "Panel Preferences" > "Appearance" tab), after the recent update a 1 pixel upward vertical misalignment now appears between the majority of the panel and the notification area/system tray (pic below). This *may* have something to do with the vertical shift/dotted, pulsing 1 px red border around the panel when tweaking via "Panel Preferences"; everything lines up fine to accommodate that red-dotted border as long as "Panel Preferences" is open, but as soon as it's closed, only the notification area drops back into it's proper place - the rest of the panel improperly remaining raised by 1 pixel.

I've tried different images - both .png & .jpg - and multiple panel re-starts & re-boots, to no avail. It seems to be a bug in this new 4.16.1 panel version.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this behavior...??

I'm not terribly accomplished on Linux, and "life" doesn't allow me much time/energy to devote towards de-bugging... so just tossin' this out into the ether that is the interwebz.

Some system info, if helpful;

inxi -F

System:    Host: hp-6730b Kernel: 5.10.13-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0
           Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq 6730b (KS178UT#ABA)
           v: F.20 serial: <superuser required>
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 30DD v: KBC Version 96.23   
CPU:       Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo P8600 bits: 64 type: MCP
           L2 cache: 3 MiB
           Speed: 804 MHz min/max: 800/2401 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 804 2: 823
Graphics:    Device-1: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: intel
           unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1280x800~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express (CTG) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.3.4

(Gah... If I can get these links to work...)

The panel background image I use, for example; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l789jd … sp=sharing

The issue; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C2HBZI … sp=sharing

I was hoping to imbed the images somehow, but doesn't seem to work that way with Google Drive's shared links... hmm

Last edited by Moat (2021-02-15 08:35:29)

Noobish Linux tinkerer...

#2 2021-02-15 12:38:41

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Possible panel v4.16.1 "Background image" Appearance bug...?

Hello and welcome.

I can confirm what you are seeing. Interestingly, these issue doesn't occur for me if I move the panel to the top. I can't seem to affect it using CSS, so it might be best to create a bug report so the developers can have a look at it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-02-15 22:13:47

Moat

Hello, ToZ - thanks for the welcome and the bug report link. I'll head over there and attempt to file a report. Also, thanks for confirming the issue; good to see I'm not crazy after all... wink I've been searching high and low to see if anyone else has experienced the issue or already filed a bug report since the release of panel 14.16.1, but have found no mention of it. Must be that very few (if any?) use a background image in their panels - otherwise I'd have expected it would have been mentioned by now.

Thanks again!  smile

#4 2021-02-16 00:41:34

Moat

Bug report filed, if anyone else wants to add info over there at gitlab.xfce.org;

https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/-/issues/435

Board footer