Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-22 04:41:55

xfceforumorg1220

Desktop Launcher - .xsession-errors - Working directory does not exist

I get two error lines in .xsession-errors each time I execute/double click a desktop icon/launcher that was created in Process (1) below.

The Error:
xfdesktop GLib-CRITICAL g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed
Working directory "/home/$USER/[Invalid UTF-8]" does not exist. It won't be used when spawing "xfce4-terminal".

The Process (1):
1. Right click an item in the Whisker menu, like xfce4-terminal or xfce4-settings-manager
2. Select "Add To Desktop"
3. tail ~/.xsession-errors
4. Double click the newly created xfce4-terminal desktop icon
5. See error messages above in .xsession-errors

Process (2):
I created another launcher by right clicking the desktop this time and selected "Create Launcher".
When I double clicked this xfce4-terminal desktop icon, I did not get the xsession errors.

The difference between Process (1) and Process (2), is the inclusion of "Path=" in .desktop file in Process (2).

I'm not sure if this is Whisker menu, xfdesktop, or something is missing in my environment.

I checked tmp and xdg variables, but nothing stood out.

declare -p ${!T@}
declare -p ${!XDG@}

Anyone else run into this? Any suggestions?

#2 2021-02-22 05:29:52

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Desktop Launcher - .xsession-errors - Working directory does not exist

Is your locale set properly?

localectl
locale -a
cat /etc/locale.conf

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-02-26 03:27:50

xfceforumorg1220

I'm 99.5% :-) sure locale is okay.

The work around is to manually add Path= to each launcher on the desktop created from the Whisker Menu. Or just right click the desktop and select Create Launcher, which automatically adds the Path=.

#4 2021-02-26 13:12:15

ToZ
Administrator

Interesting. Did some more testing and can see the same issue with both the whiskermenu and the applications menu. So the issue isn't related to either of those plugins but somewhere else. I wonder if its a result of the work that was done on field code expansion? Both plugins implemented those changes mid last year.

Perhaps create a bug against xfce4-panel (since they are both panel plugins) and see what the developers can find?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer