Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-27 21:11:19

Sadfa

Generic photo icon in systray and BROKEN FUNCTIONALITY after update

Updated the system the other day and a few unusual things happened.

1) No Wifi. I awoke today to find it miraculously fixed itself and I can now use Wifi.

2) The Xfce Power Manager icon is now a white, generic "photo icon" and some of the functions of buttons in the system tray are not working as normal. Though right and left-clicking them seems to produce the normal behaviour, all the items preceding that Xfce Power Manager "photo icon" in the tray don't have the normal mouse hover feedback, like the underline, and their tooltips appear below the region which means they are drawn off the bottom of the screen (I can see only two-pixels-worth of the top of the tooltip, running along the bottom of that part of the screen. I can't remember the normal operation of the Xfce Power Manager button but if I left-click it, as the "photo icon" it does nothing, if I right-click, there's a menu with "Presentation mode" and "Settings...". Clicking those does work at least.

3) The pamac-manager has a broken 'Preferences' screen, ie. there is no 'Save' button in the bottom-right corner of the Preferences window anymore so I cannot make changes to preferences in pamac-manager, and I need to make a change. The setting is affecting how I can update over the cli.

Yes, I made a mistake and used pamac rather than pacman. I normally (basically always) use pacman over the cli but tried to install a program from a pkg.tar.zst file and it started updating everything. I didn't want to stop it. Regardless pamac-manager is partly broken.

I tried uninstalling so I could reinstall with:
sudo pacman -R pamac-manager

...but all I got was:
error: target not found: pamac-manager

There is no man page for pamac-manager nor any info on it at wiki.archlinux.org so I'm assuming it's a Manjaro or Xfce thing and part of pamac, can I reinstall pamac with pacman without breaking stuff?

Last edited by Sadfa (2021-03-27 21:42:45)

#2 2021-03-27 22:06:44

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Generic photo icon in systray and BROKEN FUNCTIONALITY after update

Sounds like something has gone wrong with the upgrade. Probably best to ask at the Manjaro forums to get that fixed first (pamac is something that they provide in the distro), and then if any Xfce issues remain (e.g. power-manager) you can ask here again.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-03-28 02:38:04

Sadfa

Added a topic https://forum.manjaro.org/t/generic-pho … date/59995

Earlier today I was going through the .xsession-errors file to see if I could find the answer there and found this. The file is FULL of these, repeated:

(xfce4-panel:7164): Gtk-WARNING **: xx:xx:xx.xxx: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Attribute 'colour' is not allowed on the <span> tag on line 1 char 60
(xfce4-panel:7164): Gtk-WARNING **: xx:xx:xx.xxx: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Attribute 'colour' is not allowed on the <span> tag on line 1 char 61
(xfce4-panel:9647): Gtk-WARNING **: xx:xx:xx.xxx: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Attribute 'colour' is not allowed on the <span> tag on line 1 char 60

Look like a Briton broke something here, lol.

EDIT: Ok so, this error file ONLY grows while I have the Panel Preferences > Items tab open. This could be a very lucky find!!!!!! wink

Last edited by Sadfa (2021-03-28 02:43:27)

#4 2021-03-28 10:22:10

ToZ
Administrator

Are you using pango markup <span> tags on any of your plugins (clock, datetime, whisker, genmon, ....). If so, "colour" is not a valid property. It should probably be "foreground".

If the error shows up when you open the items tab, the number after the colon is a PID.

ps -ef | grep PID

...will you help identify which plugin it is.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2021-03-28 11:27:52

Sadfa

Thanks, ToZ. There is no custom pango markup on my side.

Here's the important output of the above command, with headings added. The .so files are compiled on my end or I'd look into them, specifically libsystray.so to try and find the offending bit(s):

PID    PPID  CMD
9647      XX  xfce4-panel
XXXX    9647  /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libwhiskermenu.so 8 XXXXXX71 whiskermenu Whisker Menu Show a menu to easily access installed applications
XXXX    9647  /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libsystray.so 6 XXXXXX73 systray Status Tray Plugin Provides status notifier items (application indicators) and legacy systray items
XXXX    9647  /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libpulseaudio-plugin.so 9 XXXXXX74 pulseaudio PulseAudio Plugin Adjust the audio volume of the PulseAudio sound system
XXXX    9647  /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libactions.so 2 XXXXXX75 actions Action Buttons Log out, lock or other system actions

#6 2021-03-31 01:25:07

Sadfa

Hi ToZ,

0. Great to see that since reporting the above anomaly, Steven Xu at the Xfce Gitlab ticket has identified the issue. Congrats to all involved! It's unusual that it rears it's head for a subset of locales. Even if it is an issue with how Transifex (could be wrong url) handles translation amid code I'm not so certain that it is a issue with Transifex, per se, because it doesn't happen with other similar dialog boxes with the same content and style. Maybe it is, though. Congrats all. cool cool cool With that out of the way...

2. From the Manjaro forums:

yannssolo wrote:

Remove the plugin from the panel, uninstall the associated package, reinstall it…or change your icon theme with another.

It seems that changing the icon theme doesn't help. So I'm left with trying to remove items programmatically from the Status Tray. Any hints on how to do this. Ideally safely lol

3. They think there's never been a 'Save' button, maybe they are not Xfce users. There was a Save button and now its gone, so cannot make changes to the pamac-manager Preferences. Was it lost in the CSD transition? I've searched for the specific option in both pamac and pacman's man page and there's no option for it, which explains why the change persists to now wink

(Just a bit of UX feedback regarding CSD, when people make unnoticeable changes in CSD dialogs, a little spinner might spin, or a checkmark writes itself, or a save icon appears briefly, it might appear in the top corner to the left of the close button, implying that a change is made. Would you like me to open a new topic on this?)

#7 2021-03-31 01:39:20

ToZ
Administrator

Sadfa wrote:

2. From the Manjaro forums:

yannssolo wrote:

Remove the plugin from the panel, uninstall the associated package, reinstall it…or change your icon theme with another.

It seems that changing the icon theme doesn't help. So I'm left with trying to remove items programmatically from the Status Tray. Any hints on how to do this. Ideally safely lol

Can you post an image of what you are seeing? A screenshot?

(Just a bit of UX feedback regarding CSD, when people make unnoticeable changes in CSD dialogs, a little spinner might spin, or a checkmark writes itself, or a save icon appears briefly, it might appear in the top corner to the left of the close button, implying that a change is made. Would you like me to open a new topic on this?)

I'm assuming you mean like KDE where there is an "Apply" button on every configuration screen. Feel free to create another topic if you want to have a discussion about this, but it might make more sense to post it on the xfce4-dev mailing list to get developer's attention if you are looking to start a discussion on a main UX change.

#8 2021-03-31 03:42:07

Sadfa

ToZ wrote:

Unfortunately the Quick Reply has no option to add an image. Having said that my problem has not changed since I reported it so the description in the OP applies. The only thing I'd add to be more specific is the "photo icon" for the Power Manager looks like this one but the mountains are opaque not transparent and the bottom-right edge of the icon is folded over on itself:

/usr/share/icons/Papirus-Dark-Maia/16x16@2x/places/folder-image.svg

I can't find the exact icon anywhere, I looked over the /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/panel/ folder twice.

Yannssolo at Manjaro has suggested removing/reinstalling the Power Manager from the panel.

ToZ wrote:

I'm assuming you mean like KDE where there is an "Apply" button on every configuration screen.

Not a button, just a little 'write' feedback. In all honesty I always would prefer an Apply button but the trend is no button these days.

Have you been able to identify the issue whereby the Save button is missing and thus Preferences are not persistent, or are they persistent for you?

#9 2021-03-31 05:05:04

ToZ
Administrator

Sadfa wrote:
ToZ wrote:

Unfortunately the Quick Reply has no option to add an image. Having said that my problem has not changed since I reported it so the description in the OP applies. The only thing I'd add to be more specific is the "photo icon" for the Power Manager looks like this one but the mountains are opaque not transparent and the bottom-right edge of the icon is folded over on itself:

/usr/share/icons/Papirus-Dark-Maia/16x16@2x/places/folder-image.svg

I can't find the exact icon anywhere, I looked over the /usr/share/icons/Papirus/16x16/panel/ folder twice.

Grab a screenshot, host it somewhere like imgur or imgbb and post back the link to the image.
Can you also post back the results of:

ps -ef | grep power-manager
xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -lv
xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep power
ToZ wrote:

I'm assuming you mean like KDE where there is an "Apply" button on every configuration screen.

Not a button, just a little 'write' feedback. In all honesty I always would prefer an Apply button but the trend is no button these days.

I wonder how the other gtk environments like gnome or cinammon handle this. Xfce typically makes the change when the setting is selected or de-selected.

Have you been able to identify the issue whereby the Save button is missing and thus Preferences are not persistent, or are they persistent for you?

No. Preferences are saved when the option is selected or not. Can you give an example of a setting that does not persist when enabled?

You may also want to create a second account on your computer and log in there. Keep everything at its defaults and see if you can replicate any of these issues.

#10 2021-04-01 08:07:42

Sadfa

Hi ToZ,

(2) I found the icon I'm seeing. Enter this on the command line and the generic icon that pops up is the one that you would get in the same situation:

notify-send --icon this-icon-does-not-exist blah

I'm working on finding an account that I can use to upload images but it's surprisingly difficult as a tor user.

ToZ wrote:

Can you also post back the results of (...)

Sure.

USERNAME ~]$ ps -ef | grep 'power-manager\|PID'
UID          PID    PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
XXXXXXXX    XX22     X95  0 XXXXX ?        00:00:04 xfce4-power-manager
XXXXXXXX  XXXX35  XXXX56  0 XX:29 pts/2    00:00:00 grep --colour=auto power-manager\|PID
USERNAME ~]$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -lv
/xfce4-power-manager/power-button-action  3
/xfce4-power-manager/presentation-mode    false
/xfce4-power-manager/show-tray-icon       1
USERNAME ~]$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep power
USERNAME ~]$
ToZ wrote:

You may also want to create a second account on your computer and log in there.

It's not happening the new user, but there is no Power Manager button at all. Interestingly when I go into the 'Status Tray Items' settings in the 'Status Notifiers', 'Known items' list, the 'MSM Notifier' application is shown and has the same placeholder, generic photo icon. It's the same situation on my usual login. Interestingly on my usual login, in the 'Status Tray Items', 'Systray Icons' tab, there are six items listed the first four upto Network Manager are fine, then there's 'pamac-tray' and THAT is the generic icon, then there is Xfce Power Manager and THAT is it's proper icon! Ie. it's a light gray circle with a lightning symbol cutout.

Trying...

USERNAME ~]$ ps -ef | grep pamac-tray
XXXXXXXX    XXXX58  330140  0 XXX23 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --colour=auto pamac-tray
USERNAME ~]$

Maybe pamac-tray is not running!

USERNAME ~]$ pamac-tray

(pamac-tray:XXXX79): dbind-WARNING **: XX:27:19.164: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
** Message: XX:27:19.165: updates_checker.vala:71: check updates

And now the SHIELD ICON with the tick (pamac-tray) IS BACK, BUT the generic icon is still there, to the immediate right of the shield. The volume controller is to the right of that and is fine.

The generic photo icon is definitely the Power Manager, because when I set the Power Manager to 'Hidden' in the settings it disappears and goes into a little arrow menu. Something is wrong with the display of the Power Manager tray icon, and it's breaking the hover behavior of all the buttons in the Status Tray.

(3)

ToZ wrote:

Can you give an example of a setting that does not persist when enabled?

In pamac-manager, Preferences > 'Official Repositories' tab > Changing the 'Use mirrors from' option doesn't work. This screen did have a Save button previously I can guarantee that. Even if the other tabs did not, this tab did, for whatever reason.

Last edited by Sadfa (2021-04-01 08:10:04)

#11 2021-04-01 11:37:42

ToZ
Administrator

The "photo" icon you are seeing is the default missing icon - the icon theme that you have does not have the required icon. Which icon theme are you using?

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/IconThemeName

You don't have the power-manager plugin added to the panel, but you do have the power manager tray icon enabled. In the default Papirus-Maia icon theme it does have an icon that should be shown. You can always use the plugin instead - just add the "Power Manager Plugin" to the panel and it will supersede the tray icon.

The tooltip displaying below the panel and invisible is a GTK bug. If you move the panel to the top of the screen, it will work.

Regarding the pamac-manager issue, this is not an Xfce application and I am unfamiliar with it. It looks like something that was created by the Manjaro team. You can file a bug report here.

#12 2021-04-02 04:21:04

Sadfa

ToZ wrote:

Which icon theme are you using?

Papirus-Maia, you've guessed correctly smile

ToZ wrote:

The tooltip displaying below the panel and invisible is a GTK bug. If you move the panel to the top of the screen, it will work.

Thanks for the link, it looks like they have yet to merge the patch in.

ToZ wrote:

In the default Papirus-Maia icon theme it does have an icon that should be shown.

Agree, I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Something tells me it's a problem similar to the other bug above. The last thing we need is people using a less mainstream locale having broken links in the panels. It just complicates everything for everyone. Is there an way to recompile the ".so" files in a different locale to see if that is the issue?

ToZ wrote:

Regarding the pamac-manager issue (...) looks like something that was created by the Manjaro team.

I'll mosey on down to Manjaro for this then, thanks.

#13 2021-04-02 12:01:19

ToZ
Administrator

Sadfa wrote:

[s there an way to recompile the ".so" files in a different locale to see if that is the issue?

I would just install and enable the English locale and test. What locale are you currently using?

#14 2021-04-02 17:50:19

Sadfa

ToZ wrote:

I would just install and enable the English locale and test.

Drats. It's not that. Yes, I now used the MSM (Manjaro Settings Manager) Locale Settings and changed everything to English (United States). First I tried just logging out and in. Then I tried a reset. No dice. So its something else. Honestly I've kept my setup very basic. The locale was Au.

The WiFi connection is again bad (after the reboot?) I can use a cable to connect another device to it that is using the WiFi, tongue Wonder if I'll need to do this for 3 days before the WiFi wakes up like last time. Hmm. Something just isn't right after the update.

Here's a dump of the install history from the update, I notice now there was one warning in there.

[2021-03-XXX:16:39XXXXX] [XXXX] installed qqwing (1.3.4-5)
[2021-03-XXX:39:29XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded zensu (XXX -> 0.3-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:29XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded yelp (XXX -> 3.38.3-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:29XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded yelp-xsl (XXX -> 3.38.3-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:29XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xorg-twm (XXX -> 1.0.11-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:29XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xorg-server (XXX -> 1.20.10-3)
[2021-03-XXX:39:29XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xorg-server-common (XXX -> 1.20.10-3)
[2021-03-XXX:39:29XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xorg-xkbcomp (XXX -> 1.4.5-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:29XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfwm4 (XXX -> 4.16.1-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:28XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfdesktop (XXX -> 4.16.0-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:24XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-xkb-plugin (XXX -> 0.8.2-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:24XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin (XXX -> 2.5.3-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:24XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-weather-plugin (XXX -> 0.11.0-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-wavelan-plugin (XXX -> 0.6.2-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-verve-plugin (XXX -> 2.0.1-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-timer-plugin (XXX -> 1.7.1-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-time-out-plugin (XXX -> 1.1.2-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-terminal (XXX -> 0.8.10-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-taskmanager (XXX -> 1.4.2-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-systemload-plugin (XXX -> 1.3.0-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin (XXX -> 0.5.2-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-settings (XXX -> 4.16.0-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-session (XXX -> 4.16.0-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xorg-xinit (XXX -> 1.4.1-3)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-sensors-plugin (XXX -> 1.3.95-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-screenshooter (XXX -> 1.9.8-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-power-manager (XXX -> 4.16.0-2)
[2021-03-XXX:39:23XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-notifyd (XXX -> 0.6.2-2)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-notes-plugin (XXX -> 1.9.0-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-netload-plugin (XXX -> 1.4.0-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-mount-plugin (XXX -> 1.1.5-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-mailwatch-plugin (XXX -> 1.3.0-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-genmon-plugin (XXX -> 4.1.1-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-fsguard-plugin (XXX -> 1.1.2-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-diskperf-plugin (XXX -> 2.6.3-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-dict (XXX -> 0.8.4-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-cpugraph-plugin (XXX -> 1.2.3-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-cpufreq-plugin (XXX -> 1.2.5-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-panel (XXX -> 4.16.2-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xfce4-appfinder (XXX -> 4.16.1-1)
[2021-03-XXX:39:22XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded xf86-video-nouveau (XXX -> 1.0.17-1)

(XXX A heap of upgrades ...)

[2021-03-XXX:33:49XXXXX] [XXXX] installed util-linux-libs (2.36.2-1)
[2021-03-XXX:33:49XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded libffi (XXX -> 3.3-4)
[2021-03-XXX:33:45XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded glibc (XXX -> 2.33-4)
[2021-03-XXX:33:42XXXXX] [XXXX] warning: /etc/locale.gen installed as /etc/locale.gen.pacnew
[2021-03-XXX:33:42XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded filesystem (XXX -> 2021.01.19-1)
[2021-03-XXX:33:42XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded iana-etc (XXX -> 20210202-1)
[2021-03-XXX:33:42XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded tzdata (XXX -> 2021a-1)
[2021-03-XXX:33:41XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded linux-api-headers (XXX -> 5.10.13-1)
[2021-03-XXX:33:41XXXXX] [XXXX] removed libutil-linux (2.35.2-1.1)
[2021-03-XXX:33:41XXXXX] [XXXX] removed pygobject-devel (3.36.1-1)
[2021-03-XXX:33:41XXXXX] [XXXX] removed intel-tbb (2020.2-1)
[2021-03-XXX:33:41XXXXX] [XXXX] removed mhwd-nvidia-418xx (XXX)
[2021-03-XXX:33:41XXXXX] [XXXX] removed mhwd-nvidia-430xx (XXX)
[2021-03-XXX:33:41XXXXX] [XXXX] removed mhwd-nvidia-435xx (XXX)
[2021-03-XXX:33:41XXXXX] [XXXX] removed mhwd-nvidia-440xx (XXX)
[2021-03-XXX:33:41XXXXX] [XXXX] removed python-sip (XXX)
[2021-03-XXX:33:41XXXXX] [XXXX] removed xapps (1.8.6-0.1)
[2021-03-XXX:13:06XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded mhwd (XXX -> 0.6.5-2)
[2021-03-XXX:13:06XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded mhwd-db (XXX -> 0.6.5-7)
[2021-03-XXX:13:05XXXXX] [XXXX] installed XXX
[2021-03-XXX:12:27XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded manjaro-system (XXX -> 20210321-2)
[2021-03-XXX:12:19XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded manjaro-keyring (XXX -> 20201216-1)
[2021-03-XXX:12:06XXXXX] [XXXX] upgraded archlinux-keyring (XXX -> 20210110-1)

The only difference between the two files:

USERNAME ~]$ diff '/etc/locale.gen' '/etc/locale.gen.pacnew' 
113a114
> #ckb_IQ UTF-8  
511,516d511
< 
< ###
< #
< # Locales enabled by Calamares
< en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
< en_AU.UTF-8 UTF-8

So now I wonder whether I can comment out the last two lines of that without breaking everything? Ie.

# Locales enabled by Calamares
##### en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8                     Commented out by sadfa
##### en_AU.UTF-8 UTF-8                     Commented out by sadfa

#15 2021-04-04 09:53:37

Sadfa

1, 3) Disregarding the above post as I have other avenues to explore.

2) Broken image in Power Manager problem.

Over on the Manjaro forums, @nikgnomic was able to locate this issue. I'm humbled to see it's a common issue. I tried twice to register on the Gitlab but it doesn't seem to verify the email, so posting here.

Philip Müller wrote:

(...) wouldn't it not been better to disable the function completely when xfce as session is running. In the settings menu I can enable it again, logout, and at relogin the tray icon is disabled. When I remove the panel plugin, it stays. Especially if you don't have the panel plugin enabled from 4.14 you will face that bug.

There is no response to this and the ticket is still open.

I want to confirm with an Xfce dev that this is still a problem, two months later with a very basic install. The two options provided are not really fixes;
- switching off 'System try icon' in the preferences, is not really a viable solution for people who want to maintain tray access to it for 'Presentation Mode' or whatnot.
- requiring a person to go online and research that they should install a different plugin is not the right direction to go in either.

Without any intervention from the user, the Power Manager needs to remain operational.

For further information, the icon 'ac-adapter-symbolic' is not the one that is being requested AFAICT. If it were I'm assuming that the file at location /usr/share/icons/Papirus-Dark/symbolic/devices/ac-adapter-symbolic.svg would be used because it is the default icon set (and I didn't change away from the default), but having said that...

...running upower -d on my end reveals a current icon name of battery-missing-symbolic. I have svgs for this icon in almost every icon theme, including the default one I'm using. Also, switching themes doesn't show any of them.

I'm looking forward to having this bug resolved.

#16 2021-04-04 10:28:54

ToZ
Administrator

Your problem looks very similar to the linked bug report. The best place to follow up with this is that bug report - as long as that bug report is open, the bug is not fixed. Simon is one of the developers.

#17 2021-04-04 18:00:47

Sadfa

Yes, I'd signup there for this and the other bug, but the signup process isn't emailing. I've tried a handful of times now. If Simon or whomever is will-placed to handle the bug, can be notified then that would be greatly appreciated.

I'd add that battery symbols (and power plug symbols) aren't really applicable to desktops. Using one of the below, lightning in a circle icons would work:
/<ICON_THEME_FOLDER>/symbolic/apps/gnome-power-manager-symbolic.svg
/<ICON_THEME_FOLDER>/symbolic/apps/org.gnome.PowerStats-symbolic.svg

#18 2021-04-04 20:14:29

ToZ
Administrator

If you are on a desktop and the battery indicators are not important, why not just remove the plugin and/or disable the tray icon so it doesn't show up? If you need an indicator of some sort in the panel, you can add a launcher to fire up xfce4-power-manager-settings and select any icon you want?

#19 2021-04-05 05:55:34

Sadfa

Those are workarounds that unfortunately complicate things for all. Also some users may need easy access to the 'Presentation Mode'.

It's important that Xfce upgrades successfully for all users.

Last edited by Sadfa (2021-04-05 05:55:43)

#20 2021-04-06 18:14:59

Sadfa

2) So the problem is maybe worse than initially thought. Reading the above-mentioned issue I assumed that installing a new(?) plugin, named xfce4-battery-plugin, would solve the issue automagically but it turns out I've had that plugin installed(?) the entire time.

Now I'm confused.

Last edited by Sadfa (2021-04-06 18:15:55)

#21 2021-04-06 18:24:45

ToZ
Administrator

You can remove that plugin - it has no value on a desktop PC. It sounds like the issue you have is related to the fact that the power manager battery icon isn't accurate for a computer that has no battery. xfce4-power manager gets the icon name from upower.

What is the full output of:

upower -d

Which icon theme are you using?

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/IconThemeName

#22 2021-04-07 02:29:01

Sadfa

ToZ wrote:

It sounds like the issue you have is related to the fact that the power manager battery icon isn't accurate for a computer that has no battery.

Yes Xfce needs to automatically identify an appropriate icon based on what the user is running, see above here and here

Info from upower -d (icon-name presented previously):

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/DisplayDevice
  power supply:         no
  updated:              When I last rebooted (XXX seconds ago)
  has history:          no
  has statistics:       no
  unknown
    warning-level:       none
    icon-name:          'battery-missing-symbolic'

Daemon:
  daemon-version:  0.99.11
  on-battery:      no
  lid-is-closed:   (XXX N/A)
  lid-is-present:  (XXX N/A)
  critical-action: (XXX N/A)

The way I see it, "on-battery: no" and "battery-missing-symbolic" are not a good pairing. Even if the icon were found it would be inappropriate, better '.svg' suggestion provided above.

For some reason xfce4-battery-plugin in marked as 'Explicitly installed'. My log shows that isn't the case, and I never explicitly installed it. Looks like it was installed during the initial setup. It's fine. Keep it around in case I boot on a battery'd machine. Fact is 'upower' and the tray needs to function when system is not "on-battery".

As disclosed above, the theme is Papirus-Maia (the default).

Thanks and hopefully we get to hear from Simon, either here or in the Gitlab that  I tried to register in without success (linked in this response already).

Last edited by Sadfa (2021-04-07 02:45:49)

#23 2021-04-08 20:35:52

Sadfa

It doesn't look like Simon Steinbeiß is seeing this. If anyone reading this knows Simon, please point him this way. You can see whather there's been any progress on this problem at the Xfce Gitlab, but I can't get a login to it.

#24 2021-04-08 23:04:30

ToZ
Administrator

You should be able to just create an account and that will let you create and comment on issues. What issue are you having with creating an account?

#25 2021-04-09 14:35:03

Sadfa

Yes I should be able to open the account but as I said above. I tried multiple times and it will not send the verification email.

Board footer