Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-02 03:40:50

callmejoe

starting pulseaudio

i have pulseuadio installed on arch.  arch wiki says pulseaudio will start using systemd, but i see on xfce DE it doesnt do that.  just created a startup .desktop file to kick off the pa daemon. pulseaudio -D

am i understanding this correctly?

#2 2021-04-02 11:58:55

ToZ
Administrator

Re: starting pulseaudio

From the wiki article:

PulseAudio on Arch has pulseaudio.socket enabled by default for the systemd/User instance. This means that PulseAudio will automatically start when needed.

It should work automatically when you install it. You can check the status via:

systemctl --user status pulseaudio.socket
systemctl --user status pulseaudio.service

Now having said that, Arch is in the process of migrating over to pipewire (pulseaudio replacement). I'm still running pulseaudio as pipewire is still too buggy for me. Both should start in the same manner though.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-04-02 13:16:53

callmejoe

Re: starting pulseaudio

thanks for confirming how pulseaudio should start. 

systemctl --user status pulseaudio.socket  showed the socket didn't start because the user was root.  i thought that might be the issue. i log into DE as root and installed pulseaudio as the root user.  it doesnt like that.

using pulseaudio -D works though to start pulseaudio.  also, i modified the pulseaudio systemd units to ignore condition=!root.  still a little clunky, but it works.

tried pipewire.  that really doesnt like running as the root user.

Board footer