Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-17 20:45:36

dtd

Can't select text from an xterm

This is a FreeBSD 13.0 system running 4.16. Selecting text from an xterm does not appear in the clipboard. I can past the selection into a X11 app such as mousepad but not into another xterm.  It, of course, all works using the xfce terminal app.

#2 2021-03-22 19:13:10

dtd

Re: Can't select text from an xterm

Solved; https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xt … _and_paste is a totally complete and an easier (e.g. possible for me) read.

Add "xTerm.vt100.selectToClipboard" to .Xdefaults or .Xresource. A number of places suggest that setting without the vt100. That does not work (at least for me) with FreeBSD 12.2

I tend to like xterm but at least with 4.16 the terminal app can be configure to look just like an X11-xterm

BTW it might be there are so many variations of things working differently because Xorg auto conf mostly just works. I had a case with an Ideapad where it did not, the problems there being with video interactions with FreeBSD and/or various drivers. The answer there was FreeBSD 13. I think depending on how Xorg reacts to the devices it finds the 'right' setting just work. In FreeBSD 11.4 on we seem to have "solved" that "problem".  It's somewhat akin to "real people" use ed. smile

Last edited by dtd (2021-03-22 19:21:10)

#3 2021-03-22 19:49:30

ToZ
Administrator

Thanks for posting back the solution.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2021-04-04 20:50:00

dtd

Some of the variations of pasting from X11 xterm <==> xfce windows are that at least in FreeBSD,  11.4 and beyond you need a 3 button mouse. I may be the only guy who WAS using a mouse for which the scroll wheel was NOT the third button. xev, and xinput are a great help you for are have pointer issues. Specifically "xev -event button" will show exactly what is transmitted when you push any button.

I could see with that a double-click on the old mouse generated exactly the same events as clicking the scroll wheel on a newer one. Old-one nada; new-one works. The $40 solution (I got a fancy mouse).

Board footer