Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-07 21:31:41

IpreferXfce

Problem With Simultaneously Copy and Paste To Multiple Drives.

I often backup A Directory to Multiple USB Drives Simultaneously.  It works just fine with Linux Mint 20.1 xfce however it it won't do it simultaneously in PCLinuxOS.  If I push it to go beyond just two drives, the whole copy process just freezes up.  Is this an XFCE/Thunar issue or a Configuration setting in PCLinuxOS?

Linux Mint 20.1 Running XFCE 4.14 and Thunar 1.8.14
Linux-Mint-20-1-Copy-From-One-Source-to-Multiple-Sources.png

PCLinuxOS Running XFCE 4.16 and Thunar 4.17.1
PCLinux-OS-Copy-From-One-Source-to-Multiple-Sources.png

#2 2021-04-07 22:49:22

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Problem With Simultaneously Copy and Paste To Multiple Drives.

If you go to Preferences > Behaviour tab, there is an option to allow parallel copies. Is this what you mean? Of is the whole copy process freezing?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-04-08 01:43:38

IpreferXfce

This has not been a new issue for me.  It's been an ongoing issue for several months.  However I was too busy to ask for help.  Today I found myself in a position to where I needed this copy feature to work.  The whole copy process froze up.  I've been trying to reproduce the problem, so that I could video record it.  Unfortunately for me, I can't get it to freeze again.  :-(

Per your suggestion, I looked at "Preference > Behaviour Tab".  I found the setting your talking about. 

What are the pros and cons to all of these "File Transfer" settings?

Thunar-Parallel-Settings.png

Last edited by IpreferXfce (2021-04-08 01:44:10)

#4 2021-04-08 10:14:49

ToZ
Administrator

Some prefer to copy multiple files at the same time - in parallel. Others prefer to copy one file at a time - especially when copying to slower drives. I believe its just that.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2021-04-08 12:39:44

IpreferXfce

Your probably right.  However what I find confusing is these two options:  "Local Files Only" and "Local Files On Same Devices Only"  They give me the impression that this is some sort of security feature.  I thought about just match my PCLinuxOS Thunar to the Thunar Settings on Linux Mint 20.1.  But the Thunar on Linux Mint 20.1 is too old, the option to change "File transfer" doesn't exist.

Which setting do you prefer?

Last edited by IpreferXfce (2021-04-08 12:40:50)

Board footer