Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-08 15:23:30

TiZ

PrefersNonDefaultGPU .desktop file key

Hey there, everyone.

So, it looks like Flatpak and Flathub got a bunch of fixes for using render offload, and one of them is setting some important keys for Steam's .desktop file so that Steam and anything started from it run on the performance GPU. The one in the Desktop Entry Specification is PrefersNonDefaultGPU.

I'm running Xubuntu 20.04, and it does not seem that XFCE supports this, or at the very least, it does not support this for NVIDIA's render offload, because when I run it from the whisker menu and start up a graphically intensive game like Distance, I can see it chugging, the telltale sign that it's running on the integrated GPU and not the NVIDIA.

Has this been taken care of for future XFCE versions? Is the support there, but only for DRI_PRIME and not NVIDIA's render offload env vars? What component would handle running .desktop files, so an issue can be filed if necessary?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by TiZ (2021-04-08 15:23:51)

#2 2021-04-08 16:35:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: PrefersNonDefaultGPU .desktop file key

TiZ wrote:

What component would handle running .desktop files, so an issue can be filed if necessary?

garcon would be the appropriate place for the issue report.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-04-08 20:02:49

TiZ

Re: PrefersNonDefaultGPU .desktop file key

ToZ wrote:
TiZ wrote:

What component would handle running .desktop files, so an issue can be filed if necessary?

garcon would be the appropriate place for the issue report.

Thanks very kindly. I'll head over and make the issue. smile

Last edited by TiZ (2021-04-08 20:03:04)

Board footer