Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-05 08:46:37

AshishDev

How many of you support Richard Stallman

I want to know how many xfce developers and contributors support Richard Stallman.

I checked both letter An open letter in support of Richard M. Stallman and An open letter to remove Richard M. Stallman but no one from xfce community signed any of the letter.

Please share your opinion on this as it is a very serious matter for me.
Start you answer by YES or NO.

Last edited by AshishDev (2021-04-05 09:09:43)

#2 2021-04-05 23:08:40

CwF

Re: How many of you support Richard Stallman

Yes.

I happen to think talent rarely comes in ego-less, passive, polite, non-eccentric people. There does need to be a separation between job performance and club acceptance. I don't know him and don't care, but unless he goes to jail - it's nobodies business.

Last edited by CwF (2021-04-05 23:10:02)

#3 2021-04-07 01:45:19

Sadfa

Hi Ashish,

Yes, but I'm an anonymous person so my opinion is of little value. There is a LOT of very dark money floating around in the free sofware and open source world so don't be surprised if the people who support him are afraid or feel unable speak up publicly. The good news is that he is back in some official capacity, so doing nothing that in itself might be an indicator.

Also who really cares whose identity the foundation is governed by? I don't. What matters is the work they'll do. So I want to know more on what RMS is going to focus on and whether it helps in bringing Freedom to more.

That is all i'll say on the matter.

#4 2021-04-07 20:29:29

denyer
Website

More yes than no, and that includes calling him an asshole when he's being one.

It'd be surprising if a nearly 70-year-old advocate of free expression wasn't controversial to modern sensibilities,  especially when you think about everything that's happened in those decades.

The FSF is also about personal freedom, in a first amendment and better-to-be-correct-than-popular sense. It's essentially a loosely affiliated few thousand people who curate history, write polemics about proprietary tech and make ideological points about what to call things rather than accepting what other people label them. Railing against it is a bit like attacking a Usenet archive.

no one from xfce community

There arguably isn't one in the same way eg large distros tend to have. Xfce is a number of projects integrated into various other projects, with relatively few developers and those there are generally don't post on a forum for its official website. ToZ is the only active moderator and one of very few regular posters. One or two of the devs have more of an online presence and one of those is migrating to Elementary, but it's doubtful either would claim to speak for other devs politically.

#5 2021-04-07 21:34:44

netcat

Stallman is cool, I'm for Stallman

#6 2021-04-08 15:39:30

SantaFe

Aw yes, Richard Stallman.  The Donald Trump of Open source.  Both born lacking the ability to not say stupid and insulting stuff.  So, my my answer is NO.

bah weep grana weep ninny bon. big_smile

#7 2021-04-09 06:19:47

0strodamus

YES

archlinux | OpenRC | TOMOYO Linux | Xfce

Board footer