Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-11 19:42:47

kaikai

keyboard shortcut settings reset after new login

Hello,

First of all, a big thank you for this great desktop environment!

After a few years with XFCE, I have a configuration problem.
I would transfer my configuration from my primary desktop to my Raspi.
One of the most important things is the keyboard shortcuts.

When I set new keyboard shortcuts, it is reset to XFCE4 shortly after I log in again from lightdm.

First I tried ansible with the xfconf module. I also tried bash scripting (with xfconf-query or manipulate with sed the xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml). Finally I copied the entire xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml from my desktop to the Raspi, but no change. After the next login, all my shortcut settings are gone. I repeated all these steps with the xserver shutted down.

So I've tried some different distributions (not only on the Raspi) and I have no success. sad
When I connect to the system via ssh and start:

watch "cat ~ / .config / xfce4 / xfconf / xfce-perchannel-xml / xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml | grep thunar"

Everything is fine, just until I log in through the login manager. Approx 2 seconds after loading the desktop, my entries are gone...

perhaps someone  can help me

kai-kai

#2 2021-04-11 20:18:25

ToZ
Administrator

Re: keyboard shortcut settings reset after new login

Hello and welcome.

Which version of Xfce are you working with?

Depending on the version and whether you are using systemd, one of the issues that occurs with xfconf is that the daemon is not killed on log out. This will interfere with any copying of xml files because the running process has the old values stored in memory and will write them out. Make sure xfconfd isn't running on the destination system when you copy the files.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-04-13 08:20:02

kaikai

Sorry for my delay, I was dealing with another problem ...
of course the version number is interesting. But unfortunately it's not just only one version.
On this system here it's  4.16.

Due to some other issues and for convenience, I'm trying virtual machines at the moment.
So the version on the source computer is the same as on the destination VM.

And yes, unfortunately I use systemd.
I hoped xfconf-query should solve this xfconfd problem

kai-kai

Last edited by kaikai (2021-04-13 08:25:39)

#4 2021-04-24 23:54:41

nacho_trebuchet

Hello,

I'm having the same issue on a newly installed Xubuntu 21.04 workstation. I have a 87-key WASD keyboard, which is not listed in Keyboard > Layout > Keyboard Model list, and have to re-map settings that use the number keypad. Using Super+'key' works for while then stops working. I also tried using Ctrl+'key' which also fails. When trying to re-map after having used 'Super+'key', Super is not responding. That is when I switch to Ctrl+'key' instead. Either way, the shortcuts fails after some time, I believe after logging back in from the lock screen. Basically the settings are not persistent.

These are the setting I am attempting to change:

Tile window to the top => Ctrl+Up (or Super+Up)
Tile window to the bottom => Ctrl+Down (or Super+Down)
Tile window to the left => Ctrl+Left (or Super+Left)
Tile window to the right => Ctrl+Right (or Super+Right)
Tile window to the top-left => Ctrl+Home (or Super+Home)
Tile window to the top-right => Ctrl+PgUp (or Super+PgUp)
Tile window to the bottom-left => Ctrl+End (or Super+End)
Tile window to the bottom-right => Ctrl+PgDn (or Super+PgDn)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Board footer