Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-16 16:43:08

alan_g

Greetings from Mir

Hi, I work on the Mir display server. This was designed to support a variety of graphical shells, originally Unity8 (now called Lomiri) and, more recently, mir-kiosk.

Since Canonical withdrew from the Unity8 project we don't have a set of corresponding shell components that work with Mir. Recently, I've been experimenting with components from other desktops.

I don't know if Mir will be of any interest to you, but I wanted to share my latest results:

xfce components on Wayland

More on the Mir discourse forum: Testing xfce components on Wayland

#2 2021-04-16 22:52:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Greetings from Mir

Hello and welcome.

This looks interesting. Which Xfce components are working? I can see xfce4-terminal, xfce4-taskmanager, thunar, and mousepad. Have you tried the core components like xfce4-panel, xfwm4 or xfdesktop?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-04-17 08:44:09

alan_g

Re: Greetings from Mir

Briefly, but I saw error messages about a missing `SESSION_MANAGER` environment variable, failing dbus calls and being "X11 only".

That's partly down to using a minimal VM and not knowing what dependencies and other setup is needed. (The VM is Ubuntu 20.04, so doesn't have the most recent package archives. I might have better fortune with 21.04.)

Board footer