Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-27 21:44:30

ArchaicLord

Where can detailed documentation beJump to found for xconf-query?

Hi I started to write a script to configure /backdrop/screen0/monitorrdp0/workspace0XFCE using the xconf-query cli tool.

Initially on the first system I ran it on I found and set the following

xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p /backdrop/screen0/monitorrdp0/workspace0/last-image -s $HOME/dotfiles/images/wallpapers/image1.jpg

On the current system I have found that the property is named differently
/backdrop/screen0/monitorLVDS1/workspace0/last-image

Where can I find what all the possible values can be?

I get that the first one is from where I RDP onto a sytem but what I don't want to have to do is keep rewriting for every person as and when I just want to see every possible thing that could be set there and just account for it upfront.

I have found some bits and pieces around but nothing really concrete and substantial.
Can anyone point me to a better and more compressive documentation?

Many thanks

#2 2021-04-27 22:43:15

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Where can detailed documentation beJump to found for xconf-query?

Hello and welcome.

To find possible xfconf values, there are a few sources of information:

1. xfce4-settings-editor

2. https://docs.xfce.org/ - each section may have some information (the documentation is being updated). For example, here is the section on xfdesktop that has a "Hidden xfconf options" section to supplement the information from the point above

3. If you are able to read the code, you can browse the code to look for these settings. Hint: search for "g_object_class_install_property", or xfconf_g_property_bind

4. And finally, for an xfconf primer, a member documented some information that might be useful in understanding xfconf. That thread can be found starting here.

Edit: Specific to xfdesktop image files, also here.

Last edited by ToZ (2021-04-27 22:49:25)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-04-29 16:50:24

ArchaicLord

Re: Where can detailed documentation beJump to found for xconf-query?

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

To find possible xfconf values, there are a few sources of information:

1. xfce4-settings-editor

2. https://docs.xfce.org/ - each section may have some information (the documentation is being updated). For example, here is the section on xfdesktop that has a "Hidden xfconf options" section to supplement the information from the point above

3. If you are able to read the code, you can browse the code to look for these settings. Hint: search for "g_object_class_install_property", or xfconf_g_property_bind

4. And finally, for an xfconf primer, a member documented some information that might be useful in understanding xfconf. That thread can be found starting here.

Edit: Specific to xfdesktop image files, also here.

Thank you this response!
I hope the updated documentation will make this accessible.

I am not a programmer, but  I have dabbled here and there. Never really read much C before. It's been on my todo list for a long time.
Now seems to be good time to get around to it, so I will start read what you have sent me and see how I get on.

Really appreciate this thank you. Have a great day!

Board footer