Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-29 05:13:32

lngndvs

Orage replacement / non-XFCE4 user

Orage was a key element in my workflow/setup.  I use i3, and had orage bound to a key combo.  It was the only calendar I could find that did not reset the month when it was started up each time.  Very important in my case. 

Is there anything else that can do this?   

I think this is a good example of the universal rule that truly great things don't survive.

How could anyone in the XFCE4 community know the extant of the dependence of others on edge case features of a package such as this.

Where can I find the source?

Alan Davis

#2 2021-04-29 11:38:53

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Orage replacement / non-XFCE4 user

Hello and welcome.

Although orage is no longer being developed, it is still installable and runnable. The part that won't work, is the panel plugin on the xfce4-panel (the plugin is currently gtk2 and the xfce4-panel only supports gtk3). There are a few other threads in this forum about orage and options - feel free to search.

The source can be found here or here.

Which distro are you using?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-04-30 16:05:35

mint4all

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Although orage is no longer being developed, it is still installable and runnable. The part that won't work, is the panel plugin on the xfce4-panel (the plugin is currently gtk2 and the xfce4-panel only supports gtk3). There are a few other threads in this forum about orage and options - feel free to search.

The source can be found here or here.

Which distro are you using?

As an experiment, i obtained the source, installed the toolchain, and my build was successful after a few tries. Alas, I am not yet running on the xfce 4.16 base (waiting for Linux Mint to step up), though I could setup a dedicated build PC.

Anyways, depending on the complexity of the task (my C skills got quite rusty over some 20+ years), I might take a crack at migrating the panel plugin to gtk3. Other then the gtk3 manuals (.pdfs) is there some conversion/migration guide/cheatsheet, or auto-tool, that you could point me to? Thanks a lot.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#4 2021-04-30 18:23:37

ToZ
Administrator

mint4all wrote:

I might take a crack at migrating the panel plugin to gtk3.

Sweet.

Other then the gtk3 manuals (.pdfs) is there some conversion/migration guide/cheatsheet, or auto-tool, that you could point me to? Thanks a lot.

Here is the 4.14 roadmap's deprecated widgets document with some information.

The most useful resource for me when I migrated the genmon plugin was looking at the migration efforts of the other plugins. Have a look at the commits starting on this page and this one (for 2016-05-14 to 2016-05-21) to see what I did to migrate the plugin. Hopefully some useful info there.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2021-04-30 23:28:56

mint4all

@ ToZ ...

Thanks a lot for your guidance. I obtained, installed and ran the gtk-symbol-checker mentioned by the roadmap page. I found out that Orage 4.12.1 has 21 deprecated api's located in 180+ source lines in 15 (m/l) source modules. 

That answers the what, and where. As to the how, that may end up being too formidable for my ancient skill set. Time is not an issue (I'm retired), but the learning curve may end up being too steep. I'll be studying this for a while before getting ahead of myself ...

Again, your help is deeply appreciated!

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#6 2021-06-03 06:28:16

lngndvs

I Missed that reply.   To explain my original reason for posting, I use i3.   I have had orage configured as a popup in response to a keystroke. 

My need is for a calendar that is persistent, in so far as when popped up it still displays the month and year it was at when closed.  This is extremely important to me.  It is an edge case, but not to me!   

I will look at the source code you linked to earlier.  Sorry to have lost track of the thread. 

Alan

#7 2021-06-03 06:55:47

lngndvs

I have cloned the git code and patched with a patch from Gentoo, but the executable does nothing.

???

Alan

#8 2021-06-04 00:48:30

mint4all

lngndvs wrote:

I have cloned the git code and patched with a patch from Gentoo, but the executable does nothing.
???
Alan

I regret that I am without a clue. This "patch" you refer to, what does it intend to solve? Anyway, I'm at a crossroads with htis project .... I've installed the toolchain, and all the dependencies (thanks to VS Code sniffing it all out for me), and my executables work, but the task to converting to Gtk3 is too daunting (for my ancient skillset,I must confess).

So I'm contemplating to give it a fresh start, with a new toolchain: using Gnome's "Glade3" GUI-designer to build the GUI, and than write a new backend with SQLite as the database engine, and either use (a) Google's "Flutter on Dart" for the code, or (b) the newer "Julia" language.crosscompiler, both language enviroments rannung with a Gtk3-wrapper.

So far I am very impressed with Julia and its GTK3-wrapper (Gtk.jl).  Julia's Gtk3-wrapper works well with Glase3, and though I haven't compiled down to executables,  the interpretive Julia-examples run fast and very clean atop of / from within XFCE4 (that's what matters most to me), and for me the language is not that difficult to catch up with. It is also extremely versatile in manipulating data -- that's what calendaring is all about, right?

I'll have to look into how they wrapped around the Gtk3-API (all written in C) and then perhaps figure out how to wrap around the few XFCE4-libraries. Worst case: I might end up with a stand-alone calendaring app that doesn't partake of XFCE4's "ecosystem", but someone might want to take it to Windoz or even MacOS --- we'll see ...

Cheers, m4a

#9 2021-06-04 06:02:43

lngndvs

I installed the toolchain, tried to compile.  An error ensued with libcal-3?  .   BTW I am running Arch Linux, and i3, so I installed xfce4 so any needed infrastructure might be present.   The error persisted.  I am sorry I did not save any of that.

Searching I found this:  https://bugs.gentoo.org/657542 ,

I found the patch mentioned therein, which was said to resolve the issue with libcal-3.  orage did compile; there is now an executable in the src directory.  When I execute that executable, nothing happens, so I gave up. 

My need is just as simple as can be: a popup calendar that once set to some month and year, can be popped down, and called again, will persistently display the same month.  This is because of a project I am working on involving tides, where I need to have this reference.  The other popup I use is a ham radio clock, that works ok to get the time in any random timezone.

Thank you for explaining your awe-inspiring effort.  Trying to compile is about the maximum I am able and willing to go with this.  But I'll keep trying.  Orage is elegant, I like it very much.

Thanks again,

Alan

Board footer