Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-01 12:12:24

rizalmartin

Problems with Thunar

Thunar was a great lightweight file manager. However there are some issues needed to be addressed

1. No option for hiding the annoying warning message. If you are running Thunar as root. It always shows warning message that thunar was running as root no option to hide that annoying warning. I used Puppy Linux which was running on root by default. It requires to edit the Thunar source code and recompiling it in order to remove that root warning message. I suggest that give a user an option to hide that infobar warning that the Thunar was running on root using xfconf settings

2. No option to share folder on network. It requires on add manually on user custom actions. There is plugin for that however written once again in python which was bloated. I suggest that just add a sharing dialog that act as gui frontend for samba.

#2 2021-05-01 13:15:17

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Problems with Thunar

rizalmartin wrote:

1. No option for hiding the annoying warning message. If you are running Thunar as root. It always shows warning message that thunar was running as root no option to hide that annoying warning. I used Puppy Linux which was running on root by default. It requires to edit the Thunar source code and recompiling it in order to remove that root warning message. I suggest that give a user an option to hide that infobar warning that the Thunar was running on root using xfconf settings

To get this fixed in the code, you should create an enhancement request. Perhaps something similar to what xfce4-terminal displays when you use the -H parameter (ex. xfce4-terminal -H -x ls). There is an option there to disable that infobar.

There is a workaround though (assuming you are running a GTK3 version of thunar) if you want to eliminate the root warning bar. Create the file /root/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css with the following content:

.thunar .warning { font-size: 0pt; margin: -30px; }

...this will render it invisible (tested with "pkexec thunar").

2. No option to share folder on network. It requires on add manually on user custom actions. There is plugin for that however written once again in python which was bloated. I suggest that just add a sharing dialog that act as gui frontend for samba.

If not python, what language would you suggest? Are you able to create this utility? If not, your biggest stumbling block here will be to convince someone to create this in the language of your choice.

BTW, thunar-shares-plugin exists for this purpose.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer