Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-05 05:17:08

jeremysp30

Panel launcher & running script in a terminal besides xfce4-terminal?

I have a launcher set up on my XFCE (4.16) panel that runs a simple bash query script I made which uses the "Run in terminal" option. It works fine by default, but when I installed Tilix and made it my default terminal emulator, the launcher no longer runs my script, instead it just opens a blank Tilix instance. Is there a limitation to where this is only possible with XFCE's terminal program? I can imagine there would be a way to change the launcher command to specifically run my script through a CLI launch option of Tilix, although I would have to manage this whenever I switch terminals or add more launchers, so I am just wondering if this is the expected behavior or not.

Edit: I installed Gnome terminal and set it as the default terminal, and my script works through the launcher. One thing I remembered is that when I installed Tilix, it wasn't available as an option for the Terminal Emulator under Utilities in the Default Applications program.. So I manually added the 'tilix' command into it to make it my default. Could this have something to do with the inability to launch scripts through the launcher?

Last edited by jeremysp30 (2021-05-05 05:21:58)

#2 2021-05-05 19:21:18

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Panel launcher & running script in a terminal besides xfce4-terminal?

Hello and welcome.

You need to create a helper file for tilix. Create the file ~/.local/share/xfce4/helpers/tilix.desktop with the following content:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Icon=com.gexperts.Tilix
Type=X-XFCE-Helper
Name=Tilix Terminal
StartupNotify=true
X-XFCE-Binaries=tilix;
X-XFCE-Category=TerminalEmulator
X-XFCE-Commands=%B;
X-XFCE-CommandsWithParameter=%B -x %s;

You will then get an option to select "Tilix Terminal" in Default Applications > Terminal Emulator and it should then work.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-05-06 04:50:09

jeremysp30

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

You need to create a helper file for tilix. Create the file ~/.local/share/xfce4/helpers/tilix.desktop with the following content:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Icon=com.gexperts.Tilix
Type=X-XFCE-Helper
Name=Tilix Terminal
StartupNotify=true
X-XFCE-Binaries=tilix;
X-XFCE-Category=TerminalEmulator
X-XFCE-Commands=%B;
X-XFCE-CommandsWithParameter=%B -x %s;

You will then get an option to select "Tilix Terminal" in Default Applications > Terminal Emulator and it should then work.

Thanks, it works now smile
I wonder why it had it as a preset for Gnome terminal when I installed that but not Tilix

#4 2021-05-06 10:36:24

ToZ
Administrator

The xfce4-settings package ships with a number of these helper files. The more commonly used programs are included. My guess is that tilix isn't as common a program. Its simple to manually create the helper programs though.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer