Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-09 10:57:02

dedemega

[SOLVED]How does panel's action button plugin handles switching users?

I wanted to switch user in my xfce but the default command in the whisker menu's properties to do it is "gdmflexiserver" which probably requires GDM but I am using Lighdm.
Whisker Menu

WhiskerMenu(right click) > Properties > Commands tab > switch user = "gdmflexiserver"

So obviously the button does not work in whisker menu. But the switch user button in the panel's "Action Button" plugin works the way it's supposed to and takes me to my lighdm screen.

Action button pulin

Now I can think of two workarounds. Which brings me to my questions.

1. What command is used by the xfce-panel's Action button plugin to switch user so I can replace it in the whisker menu's switch user command.

2. What command is used to switch user by lightdm/ xfce4 in general. If there is one.

3. Or do you guys have some other solution?

Last edited by dedemega (2021-05-09 12:28:13)

#2 2021-05-09 11:35:55

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED]How does panel's action button plugin handles switching users?

Hello and welcome.

dedemega wrote:

What command is used by the xfce-panel's Action button plugin to switch user so I can replace it in the whisker menu's switch user command.

It looks like "dm-tool switch-to-greeter" or "gdmflexiserver"

What command is used to switch user by lightdm/ xfce4 in general. If there is one.

For lightdm, it is dm-tool.

Or do you guys have some other solution?

"gdmflexiserver" can be a script which runs whichever user switching tool you want. For an example, see https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=47681#p47681

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-05-09 12:31:21

dedemega

Re: [SOLVED]How does panel's action button plugin handles switching users?

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

dedemega wrote:

What command is used by the xfce-panel's Action button plugin to switch user so I can replace it in the whisker menu's switch user command.

It looks like "dm-tool switch-to-greeter" or "gdmflexiserver"

What command is used to switch user by lightdm/ xfce4 in general. If there is one.

For lightdm, it is dm-tool.

Or do you guys have some other solution?

"gdmflexiserver" can be a script which runs whichever user switching tool you want. For an example, see https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=47681#p47681

yES. thank you! that answers my question. I replaced "gdmflexiserver" with "dm-tool switch-to-greeter" in whisker menu and it works the way i wanted.

Board footer