Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-17 14:59:48

Doppleganger

Keyboard Shortcut To Move Window To Other Monitor On Dual Head Setup

Hello all.  After running many different flavors of Linux for the last 3 years, I finally got around to installing the XFCE DE on my Arch Linux install.  I can honestly say, that across the board, I am of the opinion that this DE is the best I've used to date.  I very much like everything about it!!   The setup has gone well, except for one thing, which I don't know if XFCE is capable of doing.

I like to use as many keyboard shortcuts as possible.  Not to the extent that I want to use a tiling window manager, but just while using a 'regular DE', I do like my shortcuts.  I have found all the settings to change active windows shortcuts that I like to use except for 2 of them.  I normally set my Super + Left Arrow key to move a window I have just opened to the left monitor of my dual monitor setup, and Super + Right Arrow if I have an open window on the left monitor that I want to move to the right monitor.

I cannot find anywhere to enter my custom shortcuts for those two actions.  Do they exist, and I'm just missing the entries for them?  I find all the other 'normal' things, like tiling a window right, left, up, down, moving it to a particular workspace ..... etc...    But nothing for what I would like to do.

Might anyone have some advice for me about this?  TIA !!!

#2 2021-05-17 17:08:38

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Keyboard Shortcut To Move Window To Other Monitor On Dual Head Setup

Hello and welcome.

Xfce doesn't actually have this functionality built in yet. Here is an existing bug report about it.

There is, however, a helper script that you can use to perform this function.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-05-17 17:16:40

Doppleganger

Thank you for the welcome to the forum, and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  I feel I can use that script as a base, and tailor it from there.  GREAT solution, for the time being until further development of XFCE happens. 

Many thanks, once again!!

#4 2021-05-18 00:11:51

Doppleganger

For future reference if anyone might be looking for the same functionality, I found an even better helper script here:

Here

Much more configurable, and even tho it says it might be a little slow, I find that it responds immediately.

Anyways, give it a try if you have a need.

Last edited by Doppleganger (2021-05-18 00:17:04)

Board footer