Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-25 15:20:35

Doppleganger

SOLVED: I Never Get Any Notifications in the Panel Item xfce4-notifyd

I'm wondering why I never, ever, get any kind of notifications listed in the panel item that looks like a large, white bell.  The about names it as xfce4-notifyd.  The Do Not Disturb is turned off, but that doesn't seem to matter.  I just never get any kind of notifications listed there at all, of any kind, like one would expect from other distros/desktops.  I even turned on logging, but that didn't make any difference.

The kind of notifications I would expect to see are ones mentioning finished torrent downloads of distro iso's, received emails, youtube push notifications, things of that nature.

I did my best to get deadd notification center built and installed, but it always threw a couple of errors at me and would error out, so that didn't installed. 

I sort of rely upon notifications being listed for those times when I'm afk and such.

Any ideas, anyone?  TIA!    Using Arch as a base distro, if that matters......

Last edited by Doppleganger (2021-05-25 22:46:26)

#2 2021-05-25 17:59:44

alcornoqui

Re: SOLVED: I Never Get Any Notifications in the Panel Item xfce4-notifyd

#3 2021-05-25 21:09:05

Doppleganger

alcornoqui wrote:

Thanks for pointing me to that thread!  However, I do believe that the OP of that thread was more interested in getting some information from the log file than they were in having the applet show items in the list, indicating past notifications.

I do get desktop notifications when events happen, and of course they go away if I click on them to dismiss them.  Those work fine.  What I'm looking for is a list of past notifications that were not clicked on, that should be listed in that drop-down from the Bell applet, for any desktop notifications that I may have missed from being away from the keyboard. 

My panel applet always, without fail, only has the words "No Notifications" right under the switch for "Do Not Disturb".   In all other DEs that I have used, everything from Cinnamon to Mate to Gnome, and on and on......   They always have the Notification applet in the panel that has a list of notifications that were not expressly dismissed by me at the time they were shown on the desktop.

My way of thinking is that the purpose of that panel applet is expressly just for that reason... to keep a list of the desktop notifications that were missed or expressly delayed for the purpose of being dealt with at a future time. 

Does Xfce have a different philosophy regarding that applet??

#4 2021-05-25 21:36:14

ToZ
Administrator

Is your plugin enabled to "log notifications"?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2021-05-25 22:40:46

Doppleganger

ToZ wrote:

Is your plugin enabled to "log notifications"?

Well, yes and no.....  I did go to that setting a day or two ago and turn on the switch for logging, but failed to notice that it was set for 'only while Do Not Disturb is active'.  So, I just changed it to 'always', and hopefully now it will work as expected !?

I'll give it a quick test and update this thread.  Thanks!

UPDATE:  Works quite well, now.  I swear, 5 years of using Arch and learning things, but just a couple days on Xfce and I feel like a complete noob sometimes.......

I certainly do appreciate your time and efforts in the assistance you provide!!!

Last edited by Doppleganger (2021-05-25 22:45:54)

Board footer