Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-26 12:54:08

wally_rc3

Problems using Touchscreen

Hello!,
I'm Wally and I'm new to the forum and additionally I'm a newbie to using XFCE.

But coming to the point, as the title suggests, I'm having problems using the touchscreen.
I state that I have already searched for a long time on the web for a possible solution but I have not come to the head, for this reason I think it was necessary to make a post here on the forum.

I state that these problems are exclusively related to the touchscreen.
Using a USB-connected mouse such problems do not reappear.

In any case
The problems I am currently experiencing are:
- the "double click" on the desktop does not work
(in particular I cannot open any icon on the desktop, eg: a folder or a disk)

- I cannot navigate through the top bar tabs in almost all programs
(or rather, I can open them but I can't click on the options that they present)

- the "double click" does not even work within Thunar

These are the problems that have occurred to me and that at least I have noticed, apart from this the touchscreen works without problems in practically the rest of the operating system.

The software versions currently are:
Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit
Xfce 4.14
Thunar 1.8.14

And the result from xinput

Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ eGalax Inc. eGalaxTouch EXC2203-25v01_T7	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ eGalax Inc. eGalaxTouch EXC2203-25v01_T7 UNKNOWN	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ DIALOGUE INC PenMount USB               	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Hand Held Products IT5180               	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ WebCam-HM2055: WebCam-HM2055            	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ USB 2.0M AF Camera: USB 2.0M AF         	id=15	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=16	[slave  keyboard (3)]

I hope I have provided all the information necessary to help you understand my problem.
Thanks in advance for the help and I apologize for my English.

Greetings

Wally

#2 2021-05-27 00:42:35

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Problems using Touchscreen

For both thunar and xfdesktop, you can set "Single click to activate" in their properties.

As for general touchscreen use, I've seen touchegg mentioned frequently. It looks like it can translate multi-finger taps to single, double and middle-click events.

Welcome to the forums.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-05-27 14:24:38

wally_rc3

First of all, thank you for the quick reply.

ToZ wrote:

For both thunar and xfdesktop, you can set "Single click to activate" in their properties.

Yes I have already tried to enable the "single click to activate" effectively this solves the double click problem but if I want to double tap something I couldn’t do it.

ToZ wrote:

As for general touchscreen use, I've seen touchegg mentioned frequently. It looks like it can translate multi-finger taps to single, double and middle-click events.

Yes, I've seen Touchegg use many times but I don't think it can solve my problem, I'll do some tests again. Installation shouldn't be that complicated ...
However, does not remove the problem that I cannot navigate within the program tabs.
Could it be a driver problem?

ToZ wrote:

Welcome to the forums.

Thank you!
And Thanks for your time

Wally

#4 2022-01-13 06:20:11

MatinalSun

I encountered the same problem in Xubuntu20.04 with kernel 4.4.194. I installed it on an RK3399 board. The problem is that I can not open the file on the Desktop or in the File Manager when double click on the touchscreen. But double-clicking on the touchscreen to maximize the window could work. Besides, double-clicking through the mouse all work fine.

The problem is related to xubuntu20.04 since the double click works fine in xubuntu16.04 with the same kernel.

But I wonder which binary file or config file lead to this problem.

Last edited by MatinalSun (2022-01-17 07:05:31)

#5 2022-01-13 10:19:48

Jerry3904

I've been testing on a touchscreen the last couple of weeks for a Raspberry Pi respin of MX-21 Fluxbox (but still on Buster) and have seen what may be a similar problem outside of Xfce.

I have a long press producing the context menu and it seems to work well (but never so far on Bullseye) except within Thunar: if I try to see the menu for a folder and use a long press, the menu appears for an instant but disappears if I attempt to click on any link in it. (Single click  is set by default in MX.) I have the sense that a 3-finger circle (touchpad, 2 on touchscreen) may work, since it opens menus, and am currently looking at that workaround.

Not sure this is relevant, but I post it hoping that it may help better locate the source of the problem.

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2022-01-13 10:25:43)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#6 2022-01-17 08:06:35

MatinalSun

MatinalSun wrote:

I encountered the same problem in Xubuntu20.04 with kernel 4.4.194. I installed it on an RK3399 board. The problem is that I can not open the file on the Desktop or in the File Manager when double click on the touchscreen. But double-clicking on the touchscreen to maximize the window could work. Besides, double-clicking through the mouse all work fine.

The problem is related to xubuntu20.04 since the double click works fine in xubuntu16.04 with the same kernel.

But I wonder which binary file or config file lead to this problem.

I installed the ubuntu-desktop in the xubuntu-desktop. Switch to the ubuntu desktop and find the double-click function through touchscreen work well. The problem is about xubuntu-desktop 20.04.

#7 2022-01-17 18:06:50

wally_rc3

Good morning everyone,
I am very happy that after a long time this discussion can be active again.

For a little bit of contextualization I would like to say what I did after the latest changes I wrote in my previous post.
I changed the options so that the folders and files could be opened with a single click as the double-click function does not seem to work. I installed touchegg to make the right-click work but in the end tapping with two fingers is more inconvenient for me than holding down (like on a smartphone) to bring up the menu of additional options, or in this case the menu that the right-click offers.
In the end, as I said some time ago, I was satisfied with these small problems that afflict the user experience of my old x86 tablet (that I was trying to fix by installing Xubuntu) and I kept using it with a mouse ( tongue ).

In conclusion even today I can't navigate through the top bar tabs in almost all programs (or rather, I can open them but I can't click on the options that they present),
I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same problem as me (which only occurs if I use the touchscreen).

@MatinalSun , do you say that with GNOME (which is the standard Ubuntu DE) the double-click problem doesn't occur?
If so I would be tempted to change the DE to my tablet installation, but I don't think I can get very far. Knowing that GNOME is very resource hungry compared to XFCE which I believe is more optimized for my use case.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Greetings
Wally

#8 2022-01-18 01:03:05

MatinalSun

I have tested Lubuntu and standard Ubuntu. They all can use double-click through touchscreen.

#9 2022-01-18 01:05:24

MatinalSun

How do you install Xubuntu on your x86 tablet? Is it a standard installation image offered by Xubuntu?

#10 2022-01-19 19:22:33

wally_rc3

MatinalSun wrote:

I have tested Lubuntu and standard Ubuntu. They all can use double-click through touchscreen.

ok, thanks a lot for the informations!
I will do some tests to see if i can solve the problem.

MatinalSun wrote:

How do you install Xubuntu on your x86 tablet? Is it a standard installation image offered by Xubuntu?.

yup,
I have installed it through the official iso using simply a usb stick.

bye
Wally

Board footer